1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

First 1 Ton Cleaning - XXV

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Mr. Spock, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Mr. Spock

Mr. Spock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW MA
    Regular Maintenance - 2 Week Run

I usually clean out the fire box every weekend. But this time I let it go two weeks maybe
    three or about 14 bags. Note: I have not been in the igniter area for about a month.
    xxv.before.1.jpg xxv.before.2.jpg

Here is what the burn pot looked like after a few days with no attention.
    xxv.pot.before.jpg

I used the 17" pry bar to remove the bulk followed by the small flat screwdriver
    to clean carbon from the auger, auger tube and flat area around the tube. Since
    I was going for a deep clean I finished off the burn pot with Scotch Brite.
    xxv.pot.after.jpg

I keep a 90 deg pick handy for the air holes but they were fine.
    xxv.burn.pot.holes.jpg

On to the igniter area. I tapped on the top of the burn pot to knock loose ash off the igniter.
    Then went under for the clean up. I used a small hose connected to the vacuum to get way
    down in there.
    xxv.under.pot.before.jpg xxv.under.pot.after.jpg

Below shows the fire box clean. Flame guide wire brushed and the heat exchanger
    cleaned with the 2" paint brush. Followed up on the exchanger with the Scotch Brite.
    xxx.after.box.jpg xxv.after.box.2.jpg

Well, that about wraps it up. I was really curious to see what the inside of
    the stove and venting would look like after 1 ton. Not to bad IMO. I think the XXV
    is doing well.

I would have liked to get more pictures of "doing things" like a "how to" but I was a bit
    short on time and taking pictures of all this really slows down the progress.
    I will flesh things out next round when I do..."A Ton of Cleaning". :)

xxv.done.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. lessoil

lessoil Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western Maine
    Book states with a good quality pellet, empty ash pan after every ton burned.
    We are going about 4-5 weeks. Burning MWP. Locally made and delivered. About $220/ton as I remember.
  3. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    Dang! Very thorough cleaning! Much better than what I do. :(
  4. Goliath

Goliath Member

Loc:
    Rhode Island
    Mr.Spock- Bravo! and a big thank you for this informative post!! I have only torn down my XXV once and the details you provided in this thread will surely help me on my next cleaning. The pictures were extremely helpful.
  5. Mr. Spock

Loc:
    SW MA
    Thanks. The positive feeback appreciated. geez...I thought everybody cleaned there stove like this! Well most everybody...a hear lot on this site clean, clean, clean. Didn't want to post a half a$$ job ;)
  6. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    Well you certainly did a great job! How much you charge? ;)
    Mr. Spock likes this.
  7. Mr. Spock

Loc:
    SW MA
    Your welcome! Next time you clean, post your insides! I for one would like to see what others find when they clean.
    rwreuter likes this.
  8. rwreuter

rwreuter New Member

Loc:
    Mulvane, KS
    I just bought a XXV myself and have been just surface cleaning. I was wondering when I needed to do a thorough cleaning.....now I know......1 ton and I will rip into her. I certainly was hoping to just do a thorough cleaning once a season.
  9. Mr. Spock

Loc:
    SW MA
    Congrats on your purchase! The XXV is on its second full season and no complaints. She has been a fine stove. I am over a ton since the last teardown/ cleaning so I want to get on it soon. I did a quick inspection of the venting and things look ok so I am not to uncomfortable. Burning Okies this year and they are a much cleaner pellet then the Geneva I burned last season.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  10. BGStG1aholic

BGStG1aholic New Member

Just got my newborn(porcelain)XXV a little over a week ago, sure puts out some great heat quick when you need it!
    These stoves are great as they are made to be easy to work on and clean , I'm liking mine more every day.

Thank you for the informative thread w/the great pics!
  11. Mr. Spock

Loc:
    SW MA
    Your welcome. Would like to do a cleaning video...will see if time is on my side.
    rwreuter likes this.
  12. Luv2burnPellets

Luv2burnPellets New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    Love your post. Great pics! I do what I thought was a fairly decent cleaning every two weeks. I scrape burn pot, clean fines box, brush out combustin flu to the ESP probe, scrape exchanger and brush out all interior surfaces and vacuum out igniter chamber. I have a very short 3" vent to the outside, no vertical run at all, terminating only 18" or 2 ft from the house with a 45* down elbow and critter grate. Also have the Harman wall thimble for the OAK combo vent. I will clean out that last 3 ft from the ESP to the vent termination point in the spring.