1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

First -40 nights of the winter.

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by bsj425, Nov 15, 2011.

1. nate379

nate379 Guest

Now I just need to dig out the driveway. I think all the snow in my whole yeard ended up there.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Minister of Fire

I'm north of you a bit--in the hills outside of Fairbanks.
  3. bsj425

bsj425 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    North Pole Alaska
    Lucky still -42 down here near Salcha, Our high yesterday was -36 HA!
  4. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Yuck! :sick: You are a stronger person than I.
  5. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    really gives you a firm respect for the indigenous folks. I, for one, like the cold....but no where near THAT kind of cold. Take care north, norht, north landers.
  6. snowleopard

snowleopard Minister of Fire

Yep, it's warmer in the hills . . . and I agree, the accumulated wisdom of the indigenous peoples who survived this climate is amazing.

I feel like I'm looking down a window into time when I see some of the adaptations. Cave dwellers lived for centuries in climate similar to our current arctic one, and caribou passed through like clockwork on their annual migrations. When the ice melted and the steady food supply moved north, some of them spread out into Europe, and some followed the retreating ice and crossed the Bering Land Bridge, and adapted to what they found here. Their technology may have changed, but I think the problem-solving set, and the skills of living in small groups for extended periods, and beliefs about the animals and land are as old as time.