first burn help....curing questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jstellfox

Jul 15, 2010
PA
Hello, I am finally installed and doing my first burn with brand new Englander 30nc. I am up to about 450 degrees stovetop temp and seems to be holding steady. Door is shut the entire way and draft is fully open. Seems to be smoke coming off of the stove itself, basement seems smokey and of course I smell the horrible fumes. Is the smoke I am seeing the paint curing???I don't see any leaking from joints, stove door, pipe etc... Any adviced on intial burns and curing for me? And did anyone else have a smokey intial burn and is it just paint curing? Thanks

A few years ago when I broke in my Oslo I had a simular situation. The Jotul break-ins consist of several burns so in my case I would get the 'burn off' smell for several break-in fires. I believe after my first long fully opened burn did I notice the smell diminish. As far as the smokey part, my stove had that as well. I believe it was related to the paint. Good luck!

I seem to have smoke spillage right above the right corner of my stove door....like the seal is leaking slightly? Anyone have experience with the englander 30 that can chime in. I am feeling sick about this right now. Will the seal take a bit to 'seal" or do I have a defective one? Also my class A chimney section through the wall is hot to touch. I thought the class A stainless steel was supposed to be cool to touch...the chimney on the outside of the house is just warm and I can leave my hand on it, but the section through the wall is fairly hot...please help!

Ok about 2 hours into my burn now and the stove is down to about 400 degrees...hottest it got was 500 for a bit according to the stovetop thermometer. The smoke leak around my door seal seems to have subsided. So now I am unsure whether it was a leak per say or that the seal needed some time to cure and seal tightly as well??? Chimney pipe section through the wall is still hot to the touch but I am hoping this is normal for the first section of chimney as it is only hot in the horizontal through the wall section and no so much at the tee outside or on the vertical sections....any tips...ease my worry for a first burn?

Do a paper or dollar bill test all around the door and that will tell you if there is a leak or not. Hopefully it was just smoke from the paint though and it probably was. Some stoves, just like some pipe, will tend to smoke more. For example, when we put in our last stove we got no smoke from the stove but quite a bit from the new pipe. That usually goes away after the first hot fire but this one did not. I'd never seen that before so asked our hardware man. He said he had seen it before because he remembered replacing 2 sections of pipe over his long years in the business. He said if it did not stop within the next 3 or 4 fires to bring it back for replacement. It stopped after the second fire after that.

Wood smoke smells different from paint, which has a more acrid, chemical smell. Have a couple more fires. By fire number 3 there should be no more smoke in the room. If so, time to investigate the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.