first burn nc 13

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yooperdave

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 26, 2010
Michigan's U.P.
bought it on tue. installed it on thu. (after i had some interior welds repaired) switched it over from the pedestal to the legs since it is much more attractive as compared to pedestal. first burn was thu morning. i have yet to be impressed with it.
now i know why all you englander leave the door cracked while starting a fire...damn thing is just too starved for air!! just two little inlet holes for air into the burn box that i could find...about half inch holes, at that.
the next move will be to build a hearth and re-set the stove-permanently! that is, unless i still don't like the way it performs...
customer service at englander stoves was very accommodating. authorized the weld repairs in less than a day, and are shipping the broken bricks and missing parts as we speak. they were a joy to deal with.

oh yeah...thank you, brother!! i am currently having a local sheet metal shop fabricating the side heat shield!!

Here are a few links you might find of interest related to this issue. As you read through you will notice a trend. BTW, I do not have to crack my door at all and I do not have the worlds best drafting chimney. I just have good fuel. BTW, your issues may also be compounded by the fact that draft simply isn't as strong this time of year as it is when it's 25 and below outside. There will be an adjustment time w/ the new stove, but there are MANY people burning those suckers nice and hot, so I doubt your stove has a unique problem.

Read through some of these posts and I think you'll see what I'm talking about.

pen

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/60911/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/61361/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/45808/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/43191/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/33879/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/14236/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/65165/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/43242/

Give it some time. Don't forget it's not a 3.0 cubic ft box. I'm very pleased and heat about 2200sqft of ranch with it by it's self when it's above 20 out.

Could it be that the stove is starving for draft and not air? What's the pipe on this stove? Outside temps?

i'm not thinking its the draft since the old oversized air tight stove worked just great! (fisher type of stove).
i just expected more and have not experienced it yet. the flue temp didn't even get up to 200. burning the same wood that i used in the old stove. waited about 1 hour. it is not starved for combustion air, since the doors were open to the building...anticipating burn off smell.
i won't put the for sale sign on it yet, but on the other hand, i didn't put the old stove into storage yet, either! (its too damn heavy and i have to wait for the ground to dry out)
the wood i used is stored outside, i'll try some inside storage wood next time i'm down there, to see how it responds to that. mainly, i just can't believe the size of the air inlets by the bottom of the glass door. no wonder everyone is so concerned about creosote buildup- just too choked off for air, in my opinion.

That didn't answer the question. What is the flue setup on the stove?

If you are expecting the new stove to behave like the old stove, sell it. It's a different animal. But after selling many thousands of this stove, I think Englander knows what they are doing.

Gotta ask, where were the welds busted? My 13 won't go in for a while, so I have time to check and fix. Also, how big was the old stove?

I am wondering about your flue set up as well...I have the 13 and do not have to crack the door to get things rockin and rollin....I was cracking it in the beginning till my husband told me not to and I do not have any problems.....even with the warmer temps here now I can still get it crankin and we don't have a super good draft like pen.....it maybe like Begreen stated that it is a different animal all together......give it time and use some of that other wood....could it be the wood you were using from outside had a lot of surface moisture on it...that can be tryin....specially this time of year with temps and low draft.....I did have some problems with surface moisture a while back so I brought a whole bunch of wood in...stored it near the box fan in the other room....within a day or two.....did not have any more problems...just tryin to give ya my imput since I have that stove

Do you access to that wood they sell in grocery stores....you know like the "Simple Simon" stuff.....if you can get some of that...try it...if that flares up like no tomorrow....then you will get somewhere...

"can't get the flue temp over 200" something is wrong, don't take this personal but I doubt it's the stove. Flu or fuel, one of the two or both + operator error. It took me almost four months to get mine figured out because I had to wait till the next winter to get some good dry wood. Then I was a dream to run. The fuel really has to be dry in this little girl. Above 25% and mine doesn't like it.

Good luck, if you want to sell it cheap, I'll buy

thanks for all the responses

yes, i know the stove is a different beast, and i know i have to learn it...what i was expecting was to be able to light the fire and not have it extinguish itself when i closed the door.
yes, i know the wood is not perfectly dry and there is moisture present, however, i expect it to "catch" and burn accordingly after it has been exposed to the fire with the door open.
i also laughed when i read that the england stove company has manufactured (rather successfully) just a few thousand of these and probably know what they're doing. that is the first thing that entered my mind when i saw the size of the 2 air inlet holes!

flue set up is as follows-from stove to termination.
12" of single wall black pipe-6".
one 6" offset elbow single wall pipe. this is a very slight offset for clearance purposes only...three of the adjustable bands are straight and one is adjusted to have a little "kick" on it. (the other elbow at the top of the single wall is the same adjustment)
5 feet of single wall 6".
one more slightly adjusted 6" elbow.
single wall pipe connector into a 6" by 8" single wall connector.
two sections of 8" metalbestos...either 30" or 36" sections.
termination...just a rain cap.
all told and measured...about 6' of 6" single wall pipe, about 5-6 feet of metalbestos. 11 to 12 feet of flue. and no pipe damper.

beetle--
the welds were places where they had missed completely. when you look inside the firebox, there is some channel iron that feeds the secondary tubes with air. straight against the back wall, about a half inch was missing. also, on the "side channels" that the secondary tubes connect to on both the top right and top left sides, where the seams are folded over to make "end caps" (facing directly towards the front of the stove in about a one and one half inch gap) there were some missed welds.
i think that when i the stove is operating properly (read as "when I learn how to operate the stove properly") the air that would have escaped form these welds would have altered the secondary burn...maybe even creating a "hot spot" where it was not designed to be one??
but like i said previously, england stoves was a real joy to deal with and took care of me right away...even had the guy on the other end laughing loud and hard with memories of boot camp buddies from the south. for ahile there, we spoke of non-related topics...but i got so paranoid that someone was going to delete the phone call because of the topic being hi-jacked...oh wait...thats something else!

Sorry but that chimney is not adequate.

Here is some info from the manual for your stove

Page 3:
A 6†diameter flue is required for proper performance.

Page 4:
WHY THE CORRECT FLUE SIZE IS IMPORTANT: 6â€
“Draft†is the force that moves air from the appliance up through the chimney. The amount of draft in
your chimney depends on the length of the chimney, local geography, nearby obstructions, and other
factors. Too much draft may cause excessive temperatures in the appliance. An uncontrolled burn or
a glowing red part or chimney connector can indicate excessive draft. Inadequate draft may cause
back puffing into the room and “plugging†of the chimney and/or cause the appliance to leak smoke
into the room through appliance and chimney connector joints.
Today’s solid fuel appliances are much more efficient than in the past. The units are designed to give
you controlled combustion, as well as maximum heat transfer, using less fuel to do so.
The design of this heater is such that the exhaust "smoke" is now at lower temperatures than
in the past, requiring proper chimney size to provide adequate draft. If your chimney is too
large, the heater will have a difficult time raising the temperature of the flue enough to provide
adequate draft, which can cause a "smoke back," poor burn, or both.
Should you experience such problems, call in a local chimney expert.
With the door closed, the rate of burning is regulated by the amount of air allowed to enter the unit
through the air control. With experience, you will be able to set the control for heat and burning time
desired.
Attempts to achieve higher output rates that exceed heater design specifications can result in
permanent damage to the heater. The recommended wood load is level with the top of the firebricks.
Overloading may prevent sufficient air entering the heater to properly fuel the fire.
Do not tamper with the combustion air control beyond the normal adjustment capacity.
Operate this heater only with the door closed.

Page 13:
The minimum overall height of your chimney
should be 15 feet from the floor
Having any bends or offsets reduces draft which means you need even more height than 15 because of those.

In summation, that much single wall is losing a lot of heat that is needed to stay in the flue to keep it warm.

Additionally, as you go from 6 in to 8 inch your cross sectional area doubles which as the gas expands to fill it cools rapidly, and thus gives you less draft.

Even if this were double wall 6 in pipe straight from the top of the stove and out this is still too short of a chimney.

Add this in w/ sub-par wood and you are in a circumstance where you cannot win no matter what you do right now.

Also, your primary air does not come from those 2 little hole but rather air washes over your glass.

Sorry to give you the news but that chimney needs work. Maybe you could get lucky and make a big difference by just adding another section of 8 in pipe on outside and burning DRY wood? It might be worth a shot to shove some single wall pipe in it for testing to see if it makes a difference. Also go get some known seasoned fuel for testing.

pen

I have an 8" chimney and i have to crack the door to get her going with the 30 ,but once the chimney warms up the draft increases and its good,I can get a 750 stovetop in 50 Deg outside weather. My stovepipe(single wall) pipe does not get overly hot ,the UPC paper sticker on the pipe about 2 feet Above the stove is still in good shape.
I left it on thinking it would burn off,but its still there.
Dont forget all those reburn tubes are also air inlets. THe 30-NC is a great stove even with so-so draft,the 13 is just way too small for my needs.

pen said:
Sorry but that chimney is not adequate.

Here is some info from the manual for your stove

Page 3:
A 6†diameter flue is required for proper performance.

Page 4:
WHY THE CORRECT FLUE SIZE IS IMPORTANT: 6â€
“Draft†is the force that moves air from the appliance up through the chimney. The amount of draft in
your chimney depends on the length of the chimney, local geography, nearby obstructions, and other
factors. Too much draft may cause excessive temperatures in the appliance. An uncontrolled burn or
a glowing red part or chimney connector can indicate excessive draft. Inadequate draft may cause
back puffing into the room and “plugging†of the chimney and/or cause the appliance to leak smoke
into the room through appliance and chimney connector joints.
Today’s solid fuel appliances are much more efficient than in the past. The units are designed to give
you controlled combustion, as well as maximum heat transfer, using less fuel to do so.
The design of this heater is such that the exhaust "smoke" is now at lower temperatures than
in the past, requiring proper chimney size to provide adequate draft. If your chimney is too
large, the heater will have a difficult time raising the temperature of the flue enough to provide
adequate draft, which can cause a "smoke back," poor burn, or both.
Should you experience such problems, call in a local chimney expert.
With the door closed, the rate of burning is regulated by the amount of air allowed to enter the unit
through the air control. With experience, you will be able to set the control for heat and burning time
desired.
Attempts to achieve higher output rates that exceed heater design specifications can result in
permanent damage to the heater. The recommended wood load is level with the top of the firebricks.
Overloading may prevent sufficient air entering the heater to properly fuel the fire.
Do not tamper with the combustion air control beyond the normal adjustment capacity.
Operate this heater only with the door closed.

Page 13:
The minimum overall height of your chimney
should be 15 feet from the floor
Having any bends or offsets reduces draft which means you need even more height than 15 because of those.

In summation, that much single wall is losing a lot of heat that is needed to stay in the flue to keep it warm.

Additionally, as you go from 6 in to 8 inch your cross sectional area doubles which as the gas expands to fill it cools rapidly, and thus gives you less draft.

Even if this were double wall 6 in pipe straight from the top of the stove and out this is still too short of a chimney.

Add this in w/ sub-par wood and you are in a circumstance where you cannot win no matter what you do right now.

Also, your primary air does not come from those 2 little hole but rather air washes over your glass.

Sorry to give you the news but that chimney needs work. Maybe you could get lucky and make a big difference by just adding another section of 8 in pipe on outside and burning DRY wood? It might be worth a shot to shove some single wall pipe in it for testing to see if it makes a difference. Also go get some known seasoned fuel for testing.

pen

thanks. now here is what it says in the manual i got with the stove. (again, bought new from hd)
page 5-
2. FLUE SIZE

the proper flue size is determined by measuring the inside diameter of the flue collar on the unit. this stove is equipped with a six inch (6") TOP EXHAUST FLUE COLLAR. therefore, the connector pope should be six inches (6") and never less in diameter than the collar on the stov. your unit may require an adapter (ac-1677) which will reduce the 6" connector pope by 1/8". this is necessary to accommodate pope variation from different manufacturer's and maintain a good seal. the area of the chimney liner must also be equal to OR GREATER than the area of the flue collar on the stove. if the area of the flue is greater than the collar, it should not be more than two and 1/2 (2.5) times greater.

since i only went from 6 to 8 inch, i am within the bounds of the company's requirements.

and then on page 8---under pre-manufactured flue system:
the first, most popular and least expensive is through the ceiling and out the roof. this is the most direct route and creates a good draw because it requires less pipe. it is less expensive because insulated pipe is needed only from the ceiling to the roof and above--single wall 24 gauge or thicker pipe is used from the unit to the ceiling if you maintain the eighteen inches (18") clearance from all combustible material.

again, i am within the bounds of their requirements.

on line 13 of the INSTALLATION: (page 11 in my manual)
single wall flue pipe assemblies must not exceed 10 feet (10') in overall length.

good on this one, too.

my height from floor is about 13'...not 15, as recommended in manual

i doubt that 2' could make all the difference in the world, you know?

well, today, i used some wood that was stored inside all winter (dry). it was cut during the winter or 08-09 and bucked up and split in june of 09. left out side for a year, then inside for a year. i don't have a moisture meter, but i think it is well within the bounds of "dryness". (maple and cherry).
the stove got a little hotter, i got the flue temp up to 300 (with the door cracked) but when i closed the door and next, closed the air intake on the stove halfway, the fire began to die, and the temp dropped to 200 on the flue. flue temp is taken about 6-8 inches above the stove top on the single wall.
although, the stove did burn better, i have a long way to go to be satisfied yet.
i did think about putting an extra length of pipe on the top end to see how it would affect the issues...just didn't do it today.
so far it seems that the wood is part of the problem.

8" pipe will work, but it will also slow draft. When things are marginal, little differences add up. If there was 15 ft of 8" pipe running straight up + the 6' connector, it probably would work fine.

Just for yuks, pull the cap and stick a 3' piece of cheap ventpipe on the chimney for a temporary test.

When you closed the door...how long did you leave the air inlet open all the way......I usually leave mine open all the way for about 15 minutes or so depending on how things are goin.....then I start to close the air in increments about 3 or so till the end of the spring is about even with the lip of the tray.....seems like this stove likes that type of procedure......but if draft is the culprit it won't matter the procedure you follow...

GAMMA RAY said:
When you closed the door...how long did you leave the air inlet open all the way......I usually leave mine open all the way for about 15 minutes or so depending on how things are goin.....then I start to close the air in increments about 3 or so till the end of the spring is about even with the lip of the tray.....seems like this stove likes that type of procedure......but if draft is the culprit it won't matter the procedure you follow...

thanks gam-i know i didn't wait no stinkin 15 min to start adjustsing the air inlet! realisticly, probably around 3 minutes

I can understand your frustration....I freakin had to learn 2 totally different stoves in one burnin season....and by the way never had any burnin experience whatsoever....first day with the 12....I got home and had to wing it.....did not know what the heck I was doin......I went from the 12 to the 13.....talk about a learning curve.....my nerves were shot when I got the 13....just had the 12 figured out and boom....another freakin new stove to learn.....I think every stove....even if "similiar".....have their own quirks.....they like what they like and that's the way it is.....like a new girlfriend or boyfriend....gotta feel them out to get to know them...then take it from there.... ;-) I am still concerned about your setup though.......think your problem is a combo deal....

I took those quotes off of englander's website and the 13's manual. Not sure why there is a difference or which is more current.

In a properly burning system that flue thermometer should see 450-500 degrees if you have a brain fart and aren't there to adjust things in time. That stove top should be able to see 700 degrees w/ good wood. If you can't do that then there is a problem with either the fuel or the chimney, you pick which you want to blame.

When it comes to the description of your chimney the fact is you are still too short for overall height, that much single wall removes extra heat you need since you are transitioning to such a big pipe. They mention those circumstances in the manual in isolation, you have all three fighting you and you are under overall length. I don't mean to knock your flue as it probably is a very safe installation and probably served you well with your old stove, but with this current one it is not going to cut it.

Ignore these facts if you like it's no skin off my rear, it's your setup and if you read the links I have left at the top of this you would see we go through this problem virtually weekly during the burning season.

I want to see you be happy with your new setup and hopefully prepared for an enjoyable burning season next year and that's that. It's not like I sell chimney components or stoves. I can promise you that this stove will not operate as it is supposed to with your current chimney and I know from experience that really takes the fun out of burning since you are always needing to fiddle with the thing and then still can't get heat out of it.

Try calling englander up and see what they say if you wish. You said you had good luck with their customer service already.

pen

thanks pen...i will call again on mon, since englander is closed on the weekends.
interesting that the install guidelines have changed, but not the product, huh? must have been a lot of others with the same types of troubles.
rest assured, the flue will be taken care of if need be. don't want to be baby-sitting the stove every time it's used. i will try the "cheap" extension for the overall length, first.
probably even list the results and phone conversation for the closure that everyone always asks for, but seldom gets.
thanks for all the time and effort/attention you have given towards remedy-ing this..

All those welds plugged up the stove. :smirk:

short version, you need more stack, especially with the offsets , the 8inch flue is fine since it is less than 2X the cross sectional value of the flue collar. biggest difference between this type of stove and the old fisher type smoke dragons is the resistance to draft built into the unit. this is a necessary evil that has to be there to create an environment which allows wood to be more completely burned and burned clean. i run into this set of symptoms a fair amount with my customers and literally without exception it ends up being a flue related issue. as for the single wall pipe are all the seams and joints sealed? again not an issue with old stoves but can be critical with epa reburn units.

the suggestion to temporarily test with a length of single wall is ok for testing though obviously it isnt a permanent solution. if it shows a difference add the appropriate class a pipe.

one other thing to look at is differential temps its spring now and its not as cold outside. it can be more challenging to get a fire going on warmer days so sluggish draft could be a problem if its "seasonably warm" compared to the depths of winter.

if ya do need some more advice when you call my shop on monday or if later this coming week, see if you can talk to eric, i'd say ask for me but im actually on vacation and if the wife catches me doing stove work she'll take away my computer til i get home :) eric is NFI certified and understands flue dynamics quite well, if you are still fighting things give him a yell

cheers from myrtle beach

Watch out for those storms cruising through Myrtle Beach Mike. Last one was a doozy.

Vacation from ESW but not hearh.com. Love it.

Have a good vacation Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.