First burn of my King Pellet Stove - Model 5502M

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yakatony

Nov 22, 2016
Columbia, Tennessee
Problem (or probably an indication of a problem): A mostly blackened door glass after the first 24 hours of operation.

I filled the hopper with 2 - 40lb bags of Southern Indiana Hardwoods, Inc. Premium Wood Pellets (less than 1% ash) gotten from TSC here in Columbia, Tennessee. Pressed the "On" button and it fired up. I set the Heat Range on 3 as per the instructions, and enjoyed nice heat and seemingly proper operation for the first few hours. The flame was active and lively (not lazy), it pulsated as it should, and there was no blue flame at the base of it indicating overburn. Enjoyed the ambiance and went to bed later. When I got up the door glass was already dirty but could still see the flame and the sparks fly when the pellets dropped. I let it burn to 24 hours of operation and shut it down. I know this glass getting this blackened this soon is not normal and indicates some problem and a reason for it, ...so what should I do? What adjustments should I make on the draft air and/or other settings? Or whatever??

Consider that there are 3 elbows (one more than recommended), that I used a fitting to increase the exhaust air vent from 3 inch to 4 inch out of the stove, and after using the elbows to get it where it would have good clearances (about 14 inches off center) the vent goes straight up through the ceiling and expands into a 7" vent pipe which goes on through the roof to a proper height for good draft. A vent cap is in place.

Would surely appreciate any thoughts, suggestions and recommendations....

Yakatony

Welcome to the group. I'll take a stab at your dirty glass issue. That is something that is very common among pellet burners. It could very easily be.caused by the brand of pellets you have chosen to burn. Different pellets produce different results.

If you stove allows you to adjust the different burning items, such as the amount of pellets being fed and also how much air is being used you can try tweaking the adjustments. Most likely it's the pellet brand though, so try a few bags of a better pellet first.

Problem (or probably an indication of a problem): A mostly blackened door glass after the first 24 hours of operation.

I filled the hopper with 2 - 40lb bags of Southern Indiana Hardwoods, Inc. Premium Wood Pellets (less than 1% ash) gotten from TSC here in Columbia, Tennessee. Pressed the "On" button and it fired up. I set the Heat Range on 3 as per the instructions, and enjoyed nice heat and seemingly proper operation for the first few hours. The flame was active and lively (not lazy), it pulsated as it should, and there was no blue flame at the base of it indicating overburn. Enjoyed the ambiance and went to bed later. When I got up the door glass was already dirty but could still see the flame and the sparks fly when the pellets dropped. I let it burn to 24 hours of operation and shut it down. I know this glass getting this blackened this soon is not normal and indicates some problem and a reason for it, ...so what should I do? What adjustments should I make on the draft air and/or other settings? Or whatever??

Consider that there are 3 elbows (one more than recommended), that I used a fitting to increase the exhaust air vent from 3 inch to 4 inch out of the stove, and after using the elbows to get it where it would have good clearances (about 14 inches off center) the vent goes straight up through the ceiling and expands into a 7" vent pipe which goes on through the roof to a proper height for good draft. A vent cap is in place.

Would surely appreciate any thoughts, suggestions and recommendations....

Yakatony
W

Thank you very much for your reply - and so quick!

But I have egg on my face. When I opened the stove (after posting) I was surprised to see a lot of fly ash buildup that I couldn't see through the glass. Here are three pictures I took of it and my vent setup. Forgive my hasty first post.

This poses a different situation, I think. I hope you know the cause or can offer some suggestions to try....

Yakatony

Attachments

• IMG_3747.JPG
    IMG_3747.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_3748.JPG
    IMG_3748.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_3749.JPG
    IMG_3749.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 442
Thank you very much for your reply - and so quick!

But I have egg on my face. When I opened the stove (after posting) I was surprised to see a lot of fly ash buildup that I couldn't see through the glass. Here are three pictures I took of it and my vent setup. Forgive my hasty first post.

This poses a different situation, I think. I hope you know the cause or can offer some suggestions to try....

Yakatony
Does your gasket on your glass go all across the bottom? If so there is a slot on the metal brace that holds the glass in place. Cut the gasket out between the slot and remove it that will help the glass to stay gleaner longer.

How are you going to clean that chimney ? My advise, go out on the side, get a outside air chimney for combustion, and when outside, up according to specs (if needed). Get a UPS ($75) on that stove to protect against blips and protect that expensive control panel.
Your little fan has to push exhaust all that height.
Welcome to pellet heating !

There is a YouTube video on it. Noisy though... too many pellets in the pot. I like my Whitfield drop type.

I will follow up on the door gasket. Thanks.

What is a "UPS"? I have a cleanout cap under the "T" (first elbow), and tapping the exhaust stack should get all the fly ash to drop out if there is any in the elbows (which are at an angle). I need to check this I guess. Also, since heat rises naturally in chimneys, I would think that in itself, draft wouldn't be a problem - but with 3 elbows it could be. I could take all but one of the elbows out for a straight up vent - you think that would help? Also I was wondering if increasing the Draft Fan speed might solve the problem???

The door gasket does have a slot in it about 4 inches long. You are saying to cut the gasket out in that slot and on up to the glass so there can be some air wash upwards?

How are you going to clean that chimney ? My advise, go out on the side, get a outside air chimney for combustion, and when outside, up according to specs (if needed). Get a UPS ($75) on that stove to protect against blips and protect that expensive control panel.
Your little fan has to push exhaust all that height.
Welcome to pellet heating !

There is a YouTube video on it. Noisy though... too many pellets in the pot. I like my Whitfield drop type.
His chimney is 7" (same as mine) and should have a strong draft so there would not be any strain on the exhaust fan whatsoever.

Also those look to be 45s he has as elbows which are way less restrictive than 90s.

That's a lot of ash for 24 hours burn time I'd think. That could be pellets but it also could be somewhat due to incorrect damper/air control or/and feed rate.. we have a couple of King gurus around the forum, maybe they will chime in, they really know these stoves well and have them working great too.

Welcome to the forum! First off, hook up your outside air kit. The stove is designed to run with this kit and USSC will not honor warranty if it is not hooked up.

When making changes on your settings, allow the stove 1/2 hour burn time to see what effect the changes have.

As to the gasket, the larger outer gasket fits snug all the way around except for a tiny place where the ends meet. It is the frame around the window glass that has the 4" slot in it and I can see gasket material covering that and going up to the glass. Perhaps that needs to be cut out so it might suck more hot air up the glass???

Yes the elbows are 45's except the one coming up from the stove.

Thanks for all your replies and help.

OK Lake Girl.

Now I know what "OAK" means. One did not come with the stove (says it is optional but may be necessary for optimal operation of the stove), so I'll have to find out what it looks like and where I can get one. I can't see where that would help with my problem unless there is positive air pressure inside where the stove is, and that could be. If necessary I would think all you have to do is to get the right sized pipe and hook it to the outside air fitting and run it straight outside with a downturn against rain???

I read your manual. Do not cut your gasket, it already has a slot. I would adjust your draft fan setting by 1 as your manual states to see if that helps.
Man manual is not always right. There is a slot in the metal frame at bottom that holds the glass in place. Cut the gasket the length of the slot that is your airwash for the glass! For some reason it comes from factory pluging the airwash system.

One did not come with the stove (says it is optional but may be necessary for optimal operation of the stove), so I'll have to find out what it looks like and where I can get one. I can't see where that would help with my problem unless there is positive air pressure inside where the stove is, and that could be. If necessary I would think all you have to do is to get the right sized pipe and hook it to the outside air fitting and run it straight outside with a downturn against rain???

http://www.homedepot.com/p/US-Stove-Fresh-Air-Intake-Kit-69FAK/202516624 Some folks just use vehicle exhausts with a screen and wind hood of some kind. I started to type "make sure inlet is below exhaust venting outlet" but I guess you don't have to worry about that;lol

The manual may state that but about a year ago I got into a discussion with the USSC stove tech ... he would not honor warranty on a new stove because the homeowner hooked up the stove like his previous one ... horizontal exhaust without an OAK.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!!

When the dust settles from Thanksgiving I will cut out the slot and above it to the glass for an airwash.

Thanks for the link to the OAK. I think I can rig something up for a lot less than that (actually nothing since I have the stuff laying around anyway).
So come next cold snap here in Middle Tennessee I will give it a go again and try a Draft Fan setting one above the Heat Range setting. When I cleaned the glass it was only a light film of fly ash and wiped right off, so I think I will first try a burn without the OAK - a little trial and error - as in:

"Gettin' to know you,
Gettin' to know all about you.
Gettin' to like you,
Gettin' to hope you like me....

Thanks to all, and I will be posting again in a few days................

Yakatony

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.