First cat fire in my Fireview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
Well, after a few small fires I finally worked up to a medium sized one that was hot enough to engage the cat. Yeah - I'm going at it slow, but the weather is too warm to have a hot stove anyway and this is more fun right now. Anyway, it was an interesting experience.

I loaded up the stove with 4 medium size oak splits under the pile of punked wood I've been using for kindling piles and some smaller stuff on top of that then a bit of SC and flattened egg carton on top to light it all off nice and quick. Yes - every one of my fires has been top-down.

It burned - max stove top temp I hit was around 350, I had the air set just below 1 and let it cook there. I wanted to keep a little flame in the box - actually was worried when it all was gone at one point thinking I had choked the air back too far but have since read posts here that say it is ok not to have active flame in the box.

Now for the commentary:

I continue to be amazed at how easy it is to get this stove burning clean. Granted part of this is due to good dry wood and the top-down fire I'm sure, but some credit must be given to the stove too. Pipe temp never really got very high during the burn (I'll keep close notes next time, this was a relax and enjoy the moment burn). Compared to the old VC this is a dramatic difference. Wood consumption - The old stove would have eaten this load up just trying to get a bed of coal ready to put the next load on and THEN I might have been able to get the everburn to engage, thus this load would have been the primer that was consumed in the first 30-45 minutes of the day. With the Fireview I was getting heat thrown off the stove once the cat was engaged (about an hour into the burn?) and although it wasn't a lot of heat, it was nice to stand near the stove. Back to the pipe temps - with the VC during the clean burn stage (everburn) the pipe temps would have been in the 400-450 range (surface of single wall - double it for internal?) during the bulk of the burn; once the cat was engaged here the pipe temp went down from the 260ish to something around 200.

The best surprise (to me anyway) - we left the house for the afternoon and when we returned this evening the stove was still warm. I checked in the box and pushed the coals into a pile to see if there was much life in them. Leaving the cat disengaged and air fully open the coals bounced to life and in a few minutes there was a beautiful pile of bright coals that I'm quite certain I could have placed a split on and had a fire going right quick. So - check of the clock and it had been more than 10 hours since I lit the fire. That is simply amazing to me compared to what I was used to - I would have had a fully stuffed stove going when we left and returned to a stove that I would need to light a match to re-start before.

On the disappointment side - I didn't yet get to see the great fire show that I'm looking forward to. I figure that's because I didn't have enough wood in there to heat things up enough and/or enough fuel burning to see that. Perhaps that is a matter of air settings? I brought air down to #2 shortly after the kindling was burning, let it cruise there until cat light time - I went with the IR reading for temps there, didn't wait for the therm sitting there to register the 250, perhaps I was just too eager? then moved air down to #1. I actually moved it lower but was nervous when all flames disappeared and it went almost black in there - seemed too early in burn cycle for that to happen so nudged it back up. I'd love to hear comments from others on this. Manual said to expect change in flames, not for the flames to go away!

All in all it was a fun day - and yes, it still is smelling up the house so I was glad to leave the windows open and take the family out for the afternoon.

+1 for CHETTT. Slow1 your gonna be involved in a new world burning experience with that CAT stove, and its all for the positive. The only negative on this one is that your gonna kick yourself for not changing over sooner. ;-) ENJOY
N of 60

It gets even better, just wait til you have a full load in there and your stove is cruising along at 600. I agree with the others as the outside temps fall your fire will get better. Shoulder season fires in my stove require a little more air, usually I just set it at #1 or enough to maintain a flame and leave it there. As it gets colder the setting goes down to about .5. It still amazes me how easy it is to achieve a long burn in this stove. Did you see the red glow of the cat? Any smoke out the chimney?

Todd said:
It gets even better, just wait til you have a full load in there and your stove is cruising along at 600. I agree with the others as the outside temps fall your fire will get better. Shoulder season fires in my stove require a little more air, usually I just set it at #1 or enough to maintain a flame and leave it there. As it gets colder the setting goes down to about .5. It still amazes me how easy it is to achieve a long burn in this stove. Did you see the red glow of the cat? Any smoke out the chimney?

Second time someone has mentioned 'gets better when it is colder' - is this due to increased draft perhaps? or is it because folks burn hotter then? I'm trying to understand the relationship.

I'm also interested in the whole 'maintain a flame' bit - is it generally recommended to keep a flame or is it ok to see the flames disappear?

To answer your questions:

No - I didn't see any cat glow, but I expect that is because I never got over 350 surface temp.

Smoke? Not a bit :) Although I must admit I didn't look during initial startup, only after cat was engaged - I need to pop out there earlier in the burn next time.

Slow1, be sure to check your PM's.

I agree that the fireworks will get much, much better as the outdoor air gets colder and you get the stove hotter.

You will also learn that you can get the stove up to temperature much quicker than you experienced. When we purchased our stove I still did not believe everything I had read and could see no reason for the Fireview to take as long as some were saying. So I just went about building a fire the same as I always had....and there were no problems plus I was getting heat only a little slower than in a cast or steel stove. From a cold start it is easy to get it hot enough for engaging the cat between 30-45 minutes. Once the cat is engaged, then the stovetop temperature climbs rather quickly.

As for maintaining the flame, you probably won't until you need more heat. Of course, you can always burn the stove without engaging the cat if you want to enjoy the flame. If you want heat though, the cat does it well.

I don't believe that the cold induced draft makes a better fire so much as that you are putting bigger loads of wood in a hotter stove so the wood gasses are released in a bigger flash and things get violent.

I don't maintain/see a flame after turn down until it at least gets continuous -15-20 below C. However I don't do my turn down until the load is charred and a steel stove top minimum of 500F. She will smolder like hell inside the stove, 0 smoke out the chimney and the cat will glow for hours as it settles down. Its nice to have a stove you can control. No such thing as-runaways.

Status
Not open for further replies.