1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

First chimney cleaning

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by brian89gp, Dec 3, 2012.

1. brian89gp

brian89gp Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Kansas City
    Cleaned the chimney for the first time and I got a couple black sand grain size pieces and some brown/grey soot. Maybe 1/4 teaspoon in all. Did I clean it properly? Was cleaning from the bottom up and would sweep each section of rod up and down 4-5 times before attaching the next rod. Had burned about 3/4 cord of sweetgum and maple in the past 4 weeks, liner and stove were newly installed at that time.

I reached my hand up inside the flue and it was covered with a white ash. The inside of my stove looks like a flour bomb went off most times with a fine white ash covering all surfaces.

I have the smooth wall SS flex liner 40' long, 1/2" wrap insulation, inside chimney, poly brush, and I burn it hot all the time. I test fit the brush inside a section of spare liner and it has good contact and has resistance to changing direction.

I'll be back on the roof in a couple weeks and I will peek down at that time just to be sure. I just can't believe there wasn't more and am doubting that I did it correctly.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. chimneylinerjames

chimneylinerjames Feeling the Heat

That is very little creosote, but it sounds like you have a perfect setup to get these results. Smooth wall liner, 1/2" insulation, inside chimney. May I ask, what brand of liner do you have?
  3. brian89gp

brian89gp Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Kansas City