First chimney sweep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BHall

Nov 18, 2014
Middle TN
Hey guys. First time today sweeping the flue. When I got up on the roof I discovered the pitch was just slightly too steep to stand on. The pitch before getting to the steep pitch is walkable but the flue is up higher on the steep section not allowing me to stand on the lesser pitch. Any advice for getting in position to sweep? Side of house too steep for ladder also

Got a pic? Roof ladder or hook might be needed. What sort of set up is it? Can it not be cleaned bottom up?

Google Chicken Ladder

Soot eater! That's what I use. Don't need to get on the roof.
6842c433b26fcd3844a095d71511cf2e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sooteater and chicken ladder both look like interesting options. what are the disadvantages to each? I have not entertained the idea of bottom up cleaning before....may be an option with the sooteater

Here I am sitting on top of ridge. Picture is a little deceiving at how steep it is

Sooteater and chicken ladder both look like interesting options. what are the disadvantages to each? I have not entertained the idea of bottom up cleaning before....may be an option with the sooteater
The Sooteater you could clean from the bottom up, but if you have a screened cap on, it may or may not clean the cap, which is going to be the worst area of creo build up along with the top couple foot of pipe.
Chicken ladder will still requires going up on roof, and cleaning top down, but you can also inspect the cap and top couple foot to assure they are clean. Both ways will work, merely a matter of preference, and what you feel comfortable doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.