First cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osagebow

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
liner.jpgpipe2.jpgsp.jpgalexroof.jpg Put about 1/2 cord through new stove last year, very little of it was acceptably dry. Cleaned it out last week. Chimney liner only yielded about 1 cup of big flaky stuff, but has a very thin layer baked on. Pipes had a lot of flaky stuff.

Younger son got over his fear of heights :). Climbed up for a pack of gummi bears - I don't wanna be brushing the flue 10 years from now ;)
liner.jpg

Watch out for that wet wood. I can tell you from personal experience it does not take long before you have creosote oozing down your liner.

Watch out for that wet wood. I can tell you from personal experience it does not take long before you have creosote oozing down your liner.

Hoping for cleaner flue this year, locust, sass,hedge, maple, and some standing dead red oak from last yearis on the menu. Planning to brush a few times. Should be 3 years ahead (9 cords or so) by winter's end.
Nice avatar - are you a waterman?

I haven't even thought about cleaning my flue yet, althought I have looked up it and its clean. I normally clean it about mid november when I remove the cap for 24/7 burning, that way I get and stuff that might have build up in the flue from both the spring and fall shoulder seasons. Also at least twice a day usually in the morning and in the evening I take the flue temp to 600 for 5 to 10 minutes, but just remember if you do that NEVER leave the room. When I cleaned it last year I would say I got just under a half cup of powder

Hoping for cleaner flue this year, locust, sass,hedge, maple, and some standing dead red oak from last yearis on the menu. Planning to brush a few times. Should be 3 years ahead (9 cords or so) by winter's end.
Only for a day. Had an opportunity to do some commercial crab fishing for a day.....one of the best days of my life!

Reactions: ScotO and osagebow
Hmmm . . . I wonder if other folks could "pay" off their chimney sweeps with gummy bears?

Me: Thanks for cleaning my chimney. Since you did a really nice job I'm not only giving you this bag of gummy bears, but I'm also tossing in some gummy worms for you to enjoy. :)

Methinks . . . both the sweep and your boy will not be so keen to go the roof for gummy bears in the future . . . the sweeps may never go up for food . . . your boy . . . might have to keep sweetening the pot . . . keys to the truck, beer (after 21 of course), $20 bill, etc. ;)

Reactions: osagebow

You are doing good. The longer you can get your wood split and stacked in the wind the better your burns will be. Then you can lengthen out the times that you clean the chimney.....but keep checking. It's been 3 years since we've cleaned and that time it would not have to have been done.

Status
Not open for further replies.