First cord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished 4 - 49 cu/ft kiln baskets of scrap wood in the Englander 17. Just fired up the Woodchuck yesterday now that winter IS here. Prolly used a wheelbarrow load in it. I'd guess a cord or a little more since Sept 20.

I have gone 3/4 cord or so, punks and uglies. Just getting ready to move into the real wood.

wood spliter said:
Not face cords just regular cords. And I want to thank you guys that have burned at least a cord.

yup, whatever it takes to keep the house warm

I have not put a tape measure on the empty space in my wood piles yet but eyeballing it we are between 2 and a half and three cords. Bear in mind that we are running a stove that is non-epa and an open fireplace. I also have to remember that alot of what we used for wood in the shoulder season was a mix of box elder, elm that was bordering on punky and other assorted chunks. We have only now gotten into using our best wood.

This is also why we are still keeping our eyes out for a used insert for the fireplace and for an epa stove that will fit our install in the basement.

Just over 1/3 of a cord then about another pallet bin of cut offs, uglies, etc. Just starting to go into the maple/cherry/ash. Not really that cold yet to start with the oak.

About 2/3 cord. Being my first season, as many others have experienced, my wood isn't properly seasoned. At least I've got a good supply for next year on the go...

I'm guessing a little under a cord - like a lot of you, about 1/2 of that was uglies. I started on the 'good' wood about 3 weeks ago, and I've gone through about 1.5 single stacks that measure 6'X6'. Cheers!

Maybe a bit more than a cord since mid October. We're heating a story and a half, about 3,000 SF. Hubby is on dialysis and Mom just moved in with us. They both get chilled quickly so I've got to keep it pretty warm in the family room (I'm still wearing shorts in the house.) I shoot for about 76 but sometimes its a sweltering 80. Still, haven't had to fire up the furnace to take the edge off.

Carolyn

I have burnt around 3/4 to just under 1 cord. I didn't have many uglies/punkies because this is my first year burning. Pretty much had to go right into my good stuff.

Next year will be better. I have been CSS'ing 2012-2014 for the last month or so. The more you cut, the more uglies/cutoffs you generate!

Not sure. I started the year with 8 cord. I now have about 9.5 cord.

Kinda like the 70's when they had all these gadgets (magnets, water injection, etc) that would increase your gas mileage 50% each. If you applied all the enhancements, you had to stop the car every 100 miles and take gas outa the tank!

I never know . . . I burn a pile of chunks, punks and uglies in the Fall . . . it's always a best guess on my part as to how much wood I use in a winter . . . I guess I've reached the point where quite honestly I know I have enough wood for this winter . . . and next winter in my shed . . . and a whole bunch more wood outside so I don't worry too much about using too much. The most important thing for me now is simply making sure the house stays warm for Mrs. Firefighterjake.

We have burned about half a cord here since firing up on 17th October.
Mostly Oak, some Pine and Ash, and plenty of Hawthorn (local English wood that burns very hot).
We have about a cord of seasoned wood in store, suddenly looking at our weather forecasts I suspect it will not be enough.

Must do some serious gathering for next Winter asap.........

bout one third of a cord, mix of poplar,maple,walnut-will burn the oak and ash now that its finally getting cold

Status
Not open for further replies.