First days of Spring!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Hearth Supporter
Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
The first day of spring is only a couple days away...How many of you decide that the first day of spring is your last day of a woodfire?? Not me particularly, but it is coming to the point of having to make the decision..I would say around mid April before I am totally done. Good news is I will have a good cord leftover for next year and already have 10 cord of logs on order to be delivered via log loader..cant wait!

I only have about 60 splits left, so I am using them sparingly. I have a load of logs, a new Stihl ms270cb, and another load of logs coming, so I now how you feel. I have seen frost in July here in the foothills of the Catskills, so a fire is never far away....

I'm not thinking about Spring just yet. I had a late start on the wood burning season and I'm still having too much fun with my new stove for it to end already :p I plan on ordering lots of cords this year so I'll be ahead of the game come what may.

mom wants the house kept at 79 deg so until the outside temp hits that,I will still be burning
wood. seems a waste but mom deserves to be warm during the time she still has. 96 years & counting.

May be spring on the calendar but tell Mother Nature that!! It was 4* at my place this AM, Due for Snow/sleet etc tomorrow, up to 5" then a high in the low 20's on Saturday.....Im not shuttin the stove down yet!!

I hear you there dtabor. We are expecting rain, then freezing rain them around 3" of the damned white stuff by Wed morning..

what kind of wood do you burn in Spain, olive wood?

Hardwoods: encina, olive, and sometimes almond. Not sure what else.

Softwood: pine.

This year I've been burning encina and olive but after a year split in semi-desert-like-conditions it's still a bit green. I've got about a ton left but from now on I'm going to burn pine. I'm going to buy a couple of tons now ready for the winter. By the way firewood is sold by weight here and pine is cheapest and contains the same energy as any other wood by weight so is great value and I'm not bothered about overnight burns.

We don't quit burning until the weather is such that we don't need to. That certainly does not mean the first official day of Spring. More like in May.

When I got up this morning it was 38 outside and 58 in the house. So the insert is burning and putting out the heat. When the temp inside gets to and stays around 65 then the fire goes out. And that could be anytime in april or early may.

Highs here have been in the upper 30's and low 40s. I've been cutting back on my fires but not eliminating them.
I'll start a fire when I get home and then keep it going until I go to bed, topping it off about half an hour before
bed. House has been 70 when I leave early in the morning and drops down to 60 or a little less, depending if
the sun is shining, during the day. Starting to switch over from oak to popple.

ive been doing the same weather here is warmer but still raw, and wet, i plan to burn till may just not as much been scrounging a lot of wood for next yr and getting 2 cords on thurs to finsh this yr and for next.

Status
Not open for further replies.