First fire of the season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our season is changing tonight, we are suppose to have low temps in the lower 40's (which isn't that bad) but high temps are not getting out of the 60's so the house will not warm up naturally, I am going to do a full cleaning today and *test fire the stove tonight. I am excited but at the same time depressed that summer is fading.
To me the fall is the worst season, we lose our foliage, the days get shorter, and when I look at my house / yard I am reminded how lazy I was during the summer with all the unfinished projects.

43 outside this morning. Going to upper 60s this afternoon. Won't be long now before a morning fire is lit to warm the house up. Inside temp actually dropped below 70 overnight for the first time in months.

37 this morning at 5 AM. Will be around the same tonight then supposed to warm up to the low 40's.

It was 67 in the house yesterday afternoon when I got home. The P61a was waken up about9 pm and set at ~72. The main floor was still 67 this morning when I got up.

Finished installing the pipe for the P43 and sealed up the outside between the pipe and the thimble. Tonight will be the maiden run. Keep fingers crossed that I got everything tight the first time and there are no leaks (main reason I started the basement stove instead of that one - didn't want to be up late with windows/doors open if I messed it up).

First burn with some low grade pellets I had kicking around (Green Supremes) last night. Did it for comfort and ambiance watching TV. (My insert is mostly for our enjoyment). Upper 40s last night here.

I had my 1 year old insert professionally cleaned in June (to insure warranty and maintain my sanity with the new item) and I was surprised how long it took to get pellets to feed with an empty tube. Almost 12 minutes to get something to drop. I started with a handful loaded in the burn pot, added a second, almost thought things were broken, and finally got things rolling at the end.

Patience on first start with an empty tube!

Easy restart this morning while watching the news.......

Can we start a new thread " 2nd fire of the season"? Lit mine yesterday and planning on doing it again today, outside temps 62deg, raw, northeast wind 10-15 going down to 47 tonight.

Reactions: bogieb
Status
Not open for further replies.