First Fire this Season!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ds

Feeling the Heat
Jan 29, 2012
Western PA, USA
Well we could'nt wait any longer!! Low 50's this morning....Calling for upper 40's tonight......Removed damp-rid from hopper and firebox,removed covers over OAK and exhaust.......Fired it up at 5 A.M. and it lit like a charm ! Inaugural fuel into the hopper?-- Green liggies{a couple of bags broke open and we are using up those first} .

Sorry for the dark pic but wanted the "fire" to be obvious !

Burned for about an hour,then shut it down.....{upper 70's in the living room} After cooled,replaced cover on OAK and exhaust{stinkbugs are looking to get into homes this time of year} and will uncover those for the next fire{tomorrow am....:)}

Yes we know it's early.....we wanted fire........ :)

Attachments

• first%20fire%209.15.12%20030[1].JPG
    first%20fire%209.15.12%20030[1].JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 131
how do you guys like the PS50?
LW we wanted a stove without all the bells and whistles for our first stove,and thats what we got...:) Low ,medium and high and a reset switch--thats it !.....less than 1/2 ton burned at the end of last burn season...But we love it so far ! We are only heating around 1,000 sq ft. Cant imagine EVER needing hi on this stove ! We talked about the PS35 when we were looking,but glad we went with the PS50.....Our stove will never be overworked ! And seems to eat pretty much any pellet !

Since it was 62.4 in my living room this morning, 64.7in the kitchen, I thought there is no point in freezing when I now have a new source of heat! So I took the plastic bag off the vent (mice and hornets) and fired the stove up. Woo hoo! Got two fans going, one on top of a bookcase pointed to other area of house and a floor fan within 5 feet of the stove to push the air towards the archway too. All about testing this year.

Reactions: The Ds
The warm air may circulate better if you concentrate on moving the cooler air, and let the cool air push the warm air. So, instead of fans near stove moving air to other areas, put a fan in a cooler area pointed towards the stove room. It seemed weird to us, but it works beautifully!

Bake some pies instead, that way not only do you get heat but something that's good for the soul according to hossthehermit.

woke up to 33 this morning and 62 in the house with the stove not running/??? hmmmmmmmm..
I said what the heck?? no blinking light flashing....duh stove plugged in but set to off...

Hello

54 Deg F in Shed/Workshop so flipped the switch in the house before breakfast. Now it is 73 in there!

74072-3ddd66995f82e500dcb73275449e9df6.jpg

The warm air may circulate better if you concentrate on moving the cooler air, and let the cool air push the warm air. So, instead of fans near stove moving air to other areas, put a fan in a cooler area pointed towards the stove room. It seemed weird to us, but it works beautifully!
I'll try that. I assume I'm pushing the cooler floor height air towards the stove. I also assume to have a small fan on top of the bookcase to help push out the warm upper air would not hurt....?

Melissa, hi, I'll try to explain the air movement better. There are threads on here dealing with this, as well (which is where Dave and I learned it).

Our stove is in the living room. There's a center hall the length of our house with the master bedroom at the end of the hall (other rooms off hall as well). We put a fan outside the bedroom door, facing the living room. The fan blows the cool air from the bedrooms and bathroom out toward the living room. The cooler air 'moves' the warm air in the living room and the warm circulates through the house. Move the cool air with the fan and the cool air will move the warm air. We thought it would feel drafty with the cool air movement, but nope!! It's fun watching a thermometer in the bedroom go from 62 degrees to 68 degrees in a relatively short time by doing relatively nothing :)

68 F in house this morning, to warm to heat, will be 73 F before sunsets.

our cat remembers the stove from last year. have burned a few times in the last few days. maybe an hour or hour and a half total.
but kitty is taking up residence in the living room once again. even if the stove is off.
we can really tell he's getting older. he didn't use to care on way or another about heat and/or warm spots.

Stoves running tonight 55::Foutside with sprinkles. The missus was chilly, I told her she has an oil burner (she buys that fuel, it never runs) but she says she likes my heat better. Ain't she sweet. ;em

Status
Not open for further replies.