First full season with Mt Vernon AE insert... caution "rant"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

evil

Hearth Supporter
Nov 24, 2008
Ontario, where it's cold
Well, she sure does kick out the heat... when she doesn't have problems. Started off the season with software glitches and needed a new board with thermostat. This was promptly fixed and only after a 3 month wait for delivery on parts!? Great, installed new parts and gave her a good cleaning. As I was doing this I come to notice that the heat exchanger baffle is now cracked. The baffle has been on order for close to two months and I'm being told it will that it be some time because they are on back order due to the fact that these things are cracking left, right and center. I guess the Belgians that make these things have a four hour work week and are not able to supply the demand for this fine Belgian iron. What the hell, since I'm at it!!! Everyday this week I leave for work and get a "check ash pan error" ( yes it's clean ) on the thermostat 3 seconds after closing the door to the house that will be 8 to 10 C ( that's 46 to 50 F for my American neighbor's ) by the time I get home. Sure does look pretty though as the wife says. Hey Quad! Sure is nice to spend close to 6 000$ all in to install this thing and still come home to a cold house for no good reason. I mean ..... really, c'mon! I want a do over.... =(

When I bought my Quad they just wanted to sell me MV AE, described all the wonderful features. I have been around mechanical things all my life, that stove looked like trouble, too much high tech.

evil said:
Well, she sure does kick out the heat... when she doesn't have problems. Started off the season with software glitches and needed a new board with thermostat. This was promptly fixed and only after a 3 month wait for delivery on parts!? Great, installed new parts and gave her a good cleaning. As I was doing this I come to notice that the heat exchanger baffle is now cracked. The baffle has been on order for close to two months and I'm being told it will that it be some time because they are on back order due to the fact that these things are cracking left, right and center. I guess the Belgians that make these things have a four hour work week and are not able to supply the demand for this fine Belgian iron. What the hell, since I'm at it!!! Everyday this week I leave for work and get a "check ash pan error" ( yes it's clean ) on the thermostat 3 seconds after closing the door to the house that will be 8 to 10 C ( that's 46 to 50 F for my American neighbor's ) by the time I get home. Sure does look pretty though as the wife says. Hey Quad! Sure is nice to spend close to 6 000$ all in to install this thing and still come home to a cold house for no good reason. I mean ..... really, c'mon! I want a do over.... =(

Who is taking care of these problems you or your dealer? The baffle being cracked is a recurring problem and one being addressed by Quad but I don't understand why it is taking so long to get you parts. I guess I have been fortunate with my dealer and believe me if you think yours is a rant you haven't heard anything until you heard my tales of woe but the big differernce it seems is that both my dealer and Quad have been there with me every step of the way. When you get the check ash pan error is your autoclean still working or is the bottom of the burnpot jamming?

I got the ash pan error and the problem was the floor of the firepot was caked with ash and it wouldn't slide across the bottom edge of the firepot. After taking it out and cleaning it with a wire wheel, it worked great. I just had to take my stove apart to tighten a loose set screw on the autoclean motor. It wouldn't open or close the firepot completely. It took some time but I don't expect to have that issue again.

Sounds like the dealer I had. Then I went over his head to the district rep and that made a huge difference. The dealer was just lazy and a lier to boot. After looking at his track record I sold the stove and and eliminated both the stoves problems and the dealer.
There was a lot of problems with the AE but from what I hear the constant igniter problem is the only one they haven't fixed.
I had 4 different electrical boards and wall controls, 3 different baffle plates, a new vacum switch and 3 igniters.
I sold it to a fellow who burns only pellets and this is his second year with no problems so evidently it works a lot better burning pellets.
I liked its looks but I didn't spend that money to have to babysit it. For what its worth I bought a Bixby and can burn corn or pellets with no problems.

evil said:
My quad classic bay 1200 has had problems since day one.The first stove lasted 1 year and my dealer replaced it with a new one,I have had this stove for 6 years and it is also had problems.I clean it and do all the maintence on it.I bought a new avalon astoria,hopefully it will be a better stove.coobie

Wow is all I can say! I hope next season works out better for you.
People who may be contemplating that model will
probably change their minds real quick if they read this thread.

Almost 6 G's for a pellet insert/installed seems way too much to me
but then again I don't know what the exchange rate is nowadays.
Regardless, much luck to you in the future with the Quad!

I've had my share of problems with my mount vernon which I just bought in August. Were still trying to resolve the thermostat issue. My dealer has been really good about doing the repairs. I also asked my dealer about the baffles and he said they have had only 1 crack on them. I will say one thing about the stove when its running good this thing does an excellent job heating. I'm lucky my issues were minor.

I have a mt v installed 07/08 and built 05/08(i believe) have had one minor issue with wall control that dealer walked me thru over the phone.
The problem has been resolved with no parts replaced.
more often than not it seems the dealer and lack of product knowlwdge is to blame.(not in my case)

I have had mine since June 2009. Iv'e cracked 2 baffles already, but other than that, it's been flawless. Knock on wood. My dealer, both times, has had the baffle in stock.

For that kind of $$ you could have bought a real stove like a Harman.....

SXIPro said:
For that kind of $$ you could have bought a real stove like a Harman.....
yep cause Harmans never have problems. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.