First Leaf Blower Cleaning....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eatonpcat said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Eatonpcat said:
briggsy13 said:
Eatonpcat said:
smwilliamson" date="1326645348 said:
You guys are nuts with your leaf blowers.....Yall understand that a vacuum and brush do the same thing and you dont need top be up on the roof with lawn tools.

Talk to me about the vacuum and brush...I'm not keen on heights (okay, I'm fraid), plus my chimney is free standing above my roof, meaning no roof to stand on, just ladder.

CAMERA069.jpg

Off topic but you have a beautiful home!!

Thank You...

Again...Is it possible to clean the pipe from the bottom without making a giant mess??

Well it depends on how well you can both operate the brush and keep the area around the tee blocked off.

I've opened up the cap on my tee from inside a plastic bag and then elastic banded the bag to the tee and then operated the brush from the outside. Got some dirty paws. I couldn't imagine brushing it from the inside and keeping things fairly well sealed up. But then I'm not a chimney sweep.

If you have a disconnect system that allows you to hold the venting in a horizontal manner such as to not dump the ash you could get a flexible shaft brush into it and with help get a strong vacuum to catch what the brush dislodges.

There is a replacement tee cap that has an attached horizontal piece of pipe that you can connect a vacuum to but any brushing would have to be from the outside.

Maybe a super shop vacuum sealed to the combustion blower housing might be able to replace a leaf blower and get both the stove and venting cleaned.

Something to think about.

Thanks Bear...Being that mine is an insert, I did not think I had a TEE (Don't know truthfully, just assumed). Might be better off finding a buddy that's not a scaredy cat, and have him hook up the leaf blower. Or better yet, maybe check to see that the insurance is paid up and send the wifey up!! LOL

Super Shop Vac...Also might need one of these!!!

I mentioned the tee because it provides a point of reference for folks that may be contemplating doing their cleaning form inside. The cleaning problems are the same, so might as well reference both kinds of setups.

With the right adapters I could see a really strong vacuum system doing a decent job with access via the combustion blower cavity. Vertical portions of runs rarely build up ash but the termination caps are a different matter.

Eatonpcat said:
Interesting...Maybe I just unhook the exhaust and start vacuuming!!

Yep just don't drop the end of the venting. The issue with venting is usually horizontal portions and termination caps.

If you have a stand alone you can get access via the combustion blower cavity to both parts of the exhaust system. Remember this will likely cost you a gasket so be certain to have a replacement on hand. I stopped removing the tee cap last fall.

With an insert pull it out disconnect the exhaust (careful do not let it drop or hang down). Attach a strong shop vac using the right filters and let it rip. The only gotcha is the termination cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.