First night without a fire since last fall.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
Yesterday eavening we got in about 6:30 and the house was warm from the sunny day that we had and the temp was about 71F in the house.

Decided at 10 when we hit sack and it was still warm to let it go for the night.

This morning at 6am it was 62F in the house so I tossed a fire in the new stove and warmed the house up.

By 10am we were ready to head out for the day so I tuned the stove off.

Been lovely here today but the rains come back tomorrow.

Really like the nice little fire in the eavening, but when the temps are up it sure makes no sense to fry everyone. :eek:hh:

With spring here and summer hard on its heels, fires will soon be out of mind for several months except for the occasional one to take the chill off when the weather turns a tad wet for a day or two.

Snowy

Same thing here....no fire in the stove since early morning 2 days ago.......75 degrees outside today...NICE!! :coolsmile:

My Castile hasn't been running during the day for a while now. Late in the evening as the temps drop my stove comes on once or twice during the overnight. Tonight Saturday a cold front is approaching and our temps are expected to remain in the 40 during the daytime for at least a week so I expect my stove to be running during the day once again.

P.S. since I have been so used to feeding my stove and cleaning that I am almost going to miss the routine.

I wouldn't get to excited just yet, Last year we had the stove going till mid May sometime. I left the windows and the slider open to long last night, So the stove was on for a bit this morning to get the chill out. I have the stat set at 68ºF. 65ºF for overnite.

This could be just a tease and I am sure the pellet sellers are praying for a bit more cold. Right BTU??? ;-)

I am just very happy that I was able to give the new ( to us) stove a workout before the summer season arrives.

This will give me time to get the new controls all built, hooked up and ready to go by fall.

I too think that we are sure have a few more fires before we put things to sleep for the warm season.

Snowy

Same with us. The house is comfortable, stove's been on for the evenings, crocuses are out, and who cares if we have a few cold and raw days coming? I have plenty of pellets left and no worries for now.

Left the stove off last night too.

This morning at 6 it was about 62F in here so I lit the fire, up to near 70 now so I turned the setting down to low.

Rainy and cloudy today though but not real cold by any means. mid 40's last night and maybe into the low 50's today so we will need a spot fire to keep the shack warm today.

Does not take much of a fire during the warmer weather.

When the sun is out good, this place warms easily with the skylights and lots of windows.

Cost me far more to cool the place in the summer than it does to heat it in the winter for sure.

Last summer we had 2 days that saw near 110F OMG that was hot..

Too bad we can't store some of that summer heat and bleed it off in the winter. :)

Snowy

I have another 2 weeks of stove use probably. The 7 day forcast shows lows around 40 and highs from 50 - 60 and partly cloudy so daytime stove use will be minimal and night time it will run periodically set at 70*

Stove is still on here in VT, but I did have one night last week I left it off. In fact the temps will be dropping over this week. Only in the 20's on Friday. BBBRRRRRRRRR Hopefully after that things will warm up once again.

Tom

BTU said:
jtakeman said:
I wouldn't get to excited just yet, Last year we had the stove going till mid May sometime. I left the windows and the slider open to long last night, So the stove was on for a bit this morning to get the chill out. I have the stat set at 68ºF. 65ºF for overnite.

This could be just a tease and I am sure the pellet sellers are praying for a bit more cold. Right BTU??? ;-)

Careful what you wish for... I might have to talk to some of my friends still up in Canada to see about sending one more BIG COLD blast just to finish the winter off....say for about about 4 months worth....us pellet producers would like to make up for that lost time frame back in November........ :cheese:

I scored some Okies just incase this happens, So I will be ready if you do! I really don't think mother nature is done yet, So I am holding off the spring stove cleaning till june! :)

Looks like April is gonna be cool and wet around here.

Glad I got another ton of shells in to take up the slack until summer gets here.

Been having small fires almost every night now.

Today its supposed to reach upper 60's but rain and cooler tonight and for the next couple days.

Shut the Advantage down at 7:30 this morning and then topped off the hopper for tonight.

Will be home late as tonight is survivor night at some friends house, so wont be home til around 10 or so.

House will be fairly cool by then.

Nice thing is that it takes about 5 minutes to have a fire going and within 10 the stove will be putting out nice warm air.

All too soon the weather will be Hot and the stoves will be put to bed for the summer season.

Snowy

BTU said:
jtakeman said:

Careful what you wish for... I might have to talk to some of my friends still up in Canada to see about sending one more BIG COLD blast just to finish the winter off....say for about about 4 months worth....us pellet producers would like to make up for that lost time frame back in November........ :cheese:
Hey BTU did you talk to your friends I had to start my stove back up. I hope this doesn't last long.

85 forcast for the next few days.... Pellet season is officially over here!!

WEll it may say spring on the calendar but the weather is dreadful.

Those few nice days we had have turned into some nasty weather here.
Coming up the Mountain tonight it was part snow mixing in with the rain.

Poured all day long and the wind howled too.

Supposed to stay like this most of the week as several storms are all lined up and then its supposed to get nastier for the weekend

Spring, more like winter me thinks.

This weather is like we should have had back in February.

Came home tonight and turned the little stove off and fired the big Whitfield back up for the eavening.

Got it cooking along on the number 2 setting and the hopper topped off with nut shells. OHHHH YEAH Buddy nice and warm.

Maybe spring will get here eventually and we can turn these stoves off for a few months.

Snow in the big mountains by the metric buttload this week they say.

Snowy

heading in the right direction here.

Today

Hi: 61°Lo: 47°Partly Sunny
Wednesday

Hi: 70°Lo: 50°Partly Cloudy
Thursday

Hi: 72°Lo: 53°Mostly Sunny
Friday

Hi: 70°Lo: 51°Partly Cloudy
Saturday

Hi: 67°Lo: 46°40% Chance of Rain

No stove here last night I shut it down at 11:30 after the news and it was still 63 when we woke up.Looks like I may be done testing pellet brands till next winter.

Advantage running all night on (2) and the house ism about 70F this morning.

T stat is on the opposite side of the house in the dining room so the family room is a tad warmer.

T storms with hail, heavy downpours and possibly snow is forcast for today.

No sticking snow but we hvae a very cold air mass over us thats coming right out of the Gulf of Alaska.

Stove season is definately not over here yet.

I am betting that we won't have the last fire until sometime in May.

Last year we had a Big blow come through in June with T storms and heavy rain, wind and hail.

Knocked out power for 3 days and made a general mess.

Used the gen set one night to run the Pellet stove for a short time to warm the place up.

Should be pretty well through with overnight stove use by mid may me thinks.

37F outside this morning.

Snowy

Clay H said:
85 forcast for the next few days.... Pellet season is officially over here!!
or maybe I spoke too soon. It was 50 this morning and the stove had come on sometime before 6:00am...

Yup, see what heppens when ya make statements :)

Just had the changing of the guard here.
Turned the big stove off and fired the little one up to do the honors for the day while we are off at the shop all day.

Given the cold airmass that is in here the house will be in the mid 60's by this eavening but we will have the changing of the guard again about 6:30 PM

Sort of cool though having two stoves in opposite corners of the house going at the same time.

I suspect that next winter will see that occur many times.

Yup, spring is coming they tell me. Maybe in a couple weeks or so we may get some nice weather again.

Then I will be complaining cause its too hot.

Never happy eh ??

Snowy

Hi

Same here in Salem New Hampshire. My Avalon wood pellet stove was not needed last night. I also ripped out the old R7 insulation in the attic and now have R53. That is R4 foil under R19 Faced Fiberglass crissedcrossed with R30 unfaced fiberglass in the floor and Rafter vents with the R4 foil covering them in the Rafters. Totaling R58 all together. One of my neighbors kept the R7 and had some Cellulose Blown-In on top of it. I can see the difference with a dusting of snow on our roofs. His snow melts way before mine. Since I did it myself the cost was about the same. To me nothing beats the New High Performance and Inexpensive Fiberglass!

What do you have for Insulation??
Don

Attachments

• FinalPelStovePicScaled2.jpg
    FinalPelStovePicScaled2.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 132
Insulation is a best $$$$$ you can spend.

The last house we had we added 18"of blown in celulose in the overhead and that made such a difference.

The difference was most noticed in the summer as the house would stay cooler and the AC would run less.

We heated that place with a single little pellet stove.

I wish I could add more insulation to my current home, but manufactured homes don't have any real way to access the ceiling area.
The vaulted ceilings are totally inaccessable.

Tosses another bucket of shells in the Hopper.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.