First post from a newbie looking for advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcrem1187

Aug 15, 2011
Indiana
Hi all,

This is my first post so bear with me... I've visited this site a few times in the past and was hoping for some help/advice. I recently purchased what I thought was an older Buck Stove, maybe a 2600 or 2700 model. Got it home removed the blower (which works good) and trim and set out to sand blast and paint. As I was working on it I realized there were no name plates or identification anywhere on the stove. Again, I just assumed (I know, don't say it) it was a Buck because it looked just like the Buck stove my parents have in their home. Does anybody have any idea what this stove is? Since it has no identifying name plate can I use it in my home. I know it is not going to be as efficient as a newer stove but that is not a concern for me at the moment. I live in southern Indiana on a 60 acre mostly hardwood forested piece of land. I can not burn enough wood to keep up with what falls on a yearly basis and I have a 17 yr old son that needs the exercise. My closest neighbor is about a half mile away so a little smoke won't bother anyone. My biggest concern is installation to code. I called the office of our local building inspector and they were not any help. I don't want to install and have a possible problem and have this come back to haunt me. Is there a minimum clearance standard that can be used for a generic installation? I live in a smallish open floor plan log cabin (approx 1400 sq ft) and have my homeowners policy w/ State Farm.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice,

Jeff

Attachments

• First post from a newbie looking for advice
    ws1.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 190
  • First post from a newbie looking for advice
    ws2.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 192
Almost all of the old "classics" had a knock off twin. That stove could be darn near anything. Probably from China. Without tags, your clearance to combustibles will be 3 ft (yep - 3 ft), AND THAT is only in the case that you are allowed to install it. Find out who will be doing an inspection as well as make EVERYTHING openly known to your Ins. company. Some states won't allow that stove to be installed, and some Ins. companies won't insure them. Sorry, I can't answer either of those questions for you. Time to make some phone calls if you are serious about this stove.

And welcome to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.