First Post: Was my fireplace originally gas, or wood, or both, or neither?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeygecko

Oct 12, 2006
Greetings! I have, what may be an unanswerable question (at least online) but here goes...

I bought an old house near Cleveland, OH which was built in 1913. The house has a brick fireplace that was blocked off with a bizarre wood "plug" that the previous owner had installed. No evidence of a wood grate or gas insert was found when I popped the plug out. I can't tell if there are any soot or ash stains because some previous resident painted the inside of the fireplace. There is an old gas knob inset into the floor about 4 feet to the side of the hearth. The fireplace was used for something at some point in time (obviously gas was involved, but I have no idea if this was original or not).

The house has a chimney about 28 feet high. It's brick, but it's pretty darn skinny. I climbed up the roof and took a gander inside and the chimney seems to be lined with an orange clay (which I've heard may mean wood was involved). The liner doesn't poke outside of the chimney, it just stops where the brick stops. Also, the chimney's opening is only about 6" x 2".

There is a flue at the back of the fireplace that does look a bit sooty, but there is no hinged flue louver (however, I don't know that this means anything since my previous residence had an old, but working, woodburning fireplace that also did not have a louver).

The interior of the hearth looks pretty solid, no cracks and the morter seems intact. It's kind of a strange size - maybe 24" x 30" x 19" deep. My only real clue as to the original nature of the thing seems to be the floor of the fireplace. It's a thin brick tile. I broke out a chunk of it to run a gas line up from the basement to install a vent free (read: lame) gas insert.

Does this mean there was some kind of funky antique gas unit in the hearth? I've heard it was pretty uncommon for fireplaces to be only gas back when my house was built. Usually they burned wood or coal, right?

I'm going to have a chimney sweep out to look at it, but, as should be obvious by now, I really want to use this as a wood buring fireplace. Maybe I could have a wood insert installed, but I have no idea what would be involved with this, and what the restrictions would be. I'm not worried about using this a heat source as much as I want the ambienance of a real wood fire. Any pre-chimney sweep thoughts would be appreciated.

Many Thanks!

-SmokeyGecko

Definately need a picture for this analysis.

there are so many posibilities the sealed gas line could have ben used as a starter for wood burning
the age suggest gas fireplaces wer not popular till the 70's what puzzles ne is the post where the flue is 2" by 6" opening? what is the size of the clay orange flues? We need more info to make recomendations
welcome aboard hearth.com

Guys, thanks for the rapid response! Here are some pix of the the hearth (with the gas insert thing-a-ma-jig). The first picture is of me holding a piece of the thin brick I broke out of the floor of the fireplace. The second shows as much of the back of the fireplace as I can see without disconnecting the gas unit. You can sort of see the sooty flue. You can also see the header (stone, I think) and the brick. The third picture is of the front of the hearth. The fourth is a picture of the floor with the gas valve I installed about two years ago. You can see wood, but the pic is a bit deceptive since there is about an inch of morter between the chipped out brick and the wood.

The flue opening at the back of the fireplace seems to be about 6 inches long and about 4 inches wide. This is different than clay chimney liner opening at the top of the chimney which is about 6 inches long and 2 inches wide.

Cheers,
SmokeyGecko

Attachments

• IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_0079.JPG
    IMG_0079.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_0075.JPG
    IMG_0075.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 382
This must have originally been either a small gas or coal fireplace. Yes, they had small gas burners in some fireplaces even way back then. That is the only possible reason for a 2 inch by 6 inch flue tile!

I doubt you are going to be able to use it for wood in any way - the flue is too small. A small pellet stove or insert might work out, as might a small gas unit.

Is that a vent-free box installed in there?

Webmaster said:
I doubt you are going to be able to use it for wood in any way - the flue is too small. A small pellet stove or insert might work out, as might a small gas unit.

Is that a vent-free box installed in there?

Thanks for the reply. It is a vent-free box I installed (reluctantly) just after I bought the house. The house is not exactly "tight" so I'm not too worried about fume issues, though I'm probably being a bit naive. My wife and I really wanted to have something in there, but haven't installed any kind of bracket and trim to make it look a little nicer, since I'm still hopeful that I will be able to figure out how to install some kind of direct-vent unit. The unit size issues are the main barrier. Also, I've heard that you really need a 4"x4" flexi vent pipe which a 6"x2" flue just isn't going to work with.

Sigh... I guess the 1913 architect thought that little ceramic gas units were the "wave of the future." My next house will have a nice Rumsford, darn it!

:)

love2dance - welcome to the forum. Best if you start a new thread, entitled something like "Paint for Exterior of Gas FP insert?" and then ask questions.
Guessing on your question - I would assume the factory applied the proper paint and would not have to be removed to repaint.

I have seen some old school WOOD fireplace starter systems that worked on gas... they are not for sale or even approved for use any more, but they were a commonplace kinda thing about 50-60 yrs ago in more affluent homes with old school, open fireplaces. the theory was that there was a heavy cast gas burner built in under/near your wood burning firegrates in your fireplace. put any pieces of wood on the grate (green, seasoned,whatever) and touch off about 40k btu of gas and it would go, then you'd turn the gas off. They worked great, but were a safety/maintenence nightmare due to the close proximity to solid burning fuel and their lack of thermocouple/thermipile/overheat fail safe. Maybe thats what you have the remains of there.

3 1/2 yr old posting woken up by a newby misposting. I'll move love2dance's query to a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.