First post wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

giotundo

Dec 26, 2013
Mt airy md
I've been lurking for a year without making an account. Finally got around to it. Any idea what I got here? Hickory?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 201
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 204
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 192
Looks to be maple. Probably red maple.

Not hickory, split is way to clean. Looks more like red oak that has been dead for a little while. The sap wood has started to rot out but the heart wood is still very solid.

I don't see the X shaped bark pattern I've seen on Pignut and Bitternut hickory. Paul, I did score some bitternut this summer, and those were unbelievably clean splits. It was a dream to process, and every one of those pieces just felt like they had dreamed of becoming a baseball bat. Hope that wasn't unusual, because that was fun.

From the bark, maybe Black Locust, if when you split it the wood is a fairy yellow tint, that fades after a few days exposure.

From the bark, maybe Black Locust, if when you split it the wood is a fairy yellow tint, that fades after a few days exposure.

I'm terrible at these, but I'm going to guess at maple based on the bark. Red or silver maple?

Looks like Hard Maple

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Thanks for all the responses. I'm thinking some kind of maple, I have a bunch of silver maple and it's not that but red maple looks right.

Maple with layer of punk. Is it seasoned and burnable?

Hard maple that died 2.3 years ago on a south facing mild slope surrounded by elm and ash.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Hard maple that died 2.3 years ago on a south facing mild slope surrounded by elm and ash.
Hah!
wouldnt that be neat. I agree totally. Hard maple on a guess. Based on your hickory comment, that it might be heavy.
By the satin sheen that maple always has. And by how much of the solid wood is still intact after fungal decompostion. I think Red maple would be more rotted all the way thru.
So a hard maple. The big question is, does it grow by you?

Yea it grows by me I was just unsure because of the bark that's what was throwing me off. I have a bunch of silver maple and the bark is definitely different.

Status
Not open for further replies.