First real shot of cold weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
-19 here this morning. It's been very cold since Friday and my furnace kicked on Sat morning. It woke me up so I had to go turn it off and stoke the Fireview. Looks like single digit highs all week. I'm getting sick of winter already! Bring on Spring!

We got down to 10 last night and the stove didn't do to well over night. The house dropped about 10 degrees over night. It's going to be 8 tonight. I did light the space heater tonight for about 20 mins.

I've reached the point where I'm saying who cares, I'm going to be warm even if i need to use gas. I have already saved November's and December's gas bill, so what's a few days going to cost me.

Current temp 11* headed for 4* tonight, high tomorrow 8* low expected to drop to -3. The furnace hasn't come on at all sense the install(after break in of course). :cheese: Just loaded her to the gills with elm, got it going good, and have it damped all the way down, in stages, with just the secondary burn going beautifully now! House temp is 75* ish... and I am off to bed. Tomorrow will be the real test!

It was -10 when I got up this morning at 0700 so it had to go to -13 or so just before dawn. Had the pellet burner on 3 which is normal burn and it wouldn't get above 56 in the next room. Thats when its nice to have electric blankets. Now its up to a toasty -2. The lake is going to freeze over tonite if it hasn't already.

The guy down the roads weather station logged 5.9 degrees at five twenty-three this morning. I screwed up and overslept until seven fifteen having loaded the stove a eight thirty last night and gone to be around eleven. Sixty-six upstairs when I got up so the stove is cranking and we are coming through sixty-eight up there and climbing. Dang cold outside!

10 f. Last loaded elm@9 am. Surface temp 450. Home@72. Who needs palm trees

Driz said:
It was -10 when I got up this morning at 0700 so it had to go to -13 or so just before dawn. Had the pellet burner on 3 which is normal burn and it wouldn't get above 56 in the next room. Thats when its nice to have electric blankets. Now its up to a toasty -2. The lake is going to freeze over tonite if it hasn't already.

Now that's cold. I had to look up where Chazy was. I bet it's pretty up there. I've been wanting to come up to Lake Champlain for a long time to fish. Someday I'll make it up there.

8F here this morning in the mountains of NC. Listening to the radio in the shower, it dropped a degree to 7F.

I couldn't find the labs this morning on their bed - and found them curled by the VC Resolute II. I loaded it up last night about 10:45pm; there was a nice bed of coals this morning keeping the stove at about 250F.

The front half of our house stays in the 71-74 range with the stove running; the back about 64 where the natural gas would kick on. When the stove is lit, I never hear the heat kick on.

I recently installed a "Heat Have" Stirling Engined fan to the stove. It starts at 390F, the faster it goes, the hotter the stove. I've found it a great visual indicator of when I need to add wood or add a little air to fire the box hotter.

Status
Not open for further replies.