First score!/pics/update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireAnt

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2009
Central CT
My buddies father just dropped a couple maples in his yard. He said I could take it all. I didn't realize it was some pretty decent size stuff. I just need to get it out now and get it split.
I don't have a stove yet but I figure I should get all the wood I can when I can get it. I have decided to hold off on the stove until I get a decent seasoned wood supply and can get everything to fit the way I/wife:) want without rushing in to it. This site is so useful, so I want to read up a little more and not rush into things.

The picture of the tree is one that is sitting on my parents property. My dad is thinking of cutting it down before putting a shed up. It is BIG!

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 652
  • truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 686
  • wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 850
If that is maple, I'd say it is Norway Maple, which should be seasoned by next year if you get it split soon. If you don't have a stove yet (neither do I) you gotta be sure to cut your wood to a length that will fit the stove when you get it. I think almost all stoves will take 18 inch splits, and I have been cutting mine to 16 inches to be safe. However, if you are considering a small stove you might need even shorter pieces - just something to think about. It looks like the maple is cut to various lengths. Nice score.

You need to re-title this thread "Wood ID" cause I think yer gonna get some nay-sayers on that being Maple. Assuming you meant the wood in the truck.

congrats on the white ash

+1 White Ash
That will be good to burn by next season if you split it now (splits well too!).

That bark sure does scream "ASH!" But the face of the split looks pretty smooth compared to most ash that I have split. Usually on the split face it has pretty pronounced grain patterns.

Jags said:
That bark sure does scream "ASH!" But the face of the split looks pretty smooth compared to most ash that I have split.

oh crap that means tulip!

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
That bark sure does scream "ASH!" But the face of the split looks pretty smooth compared to most ash that I have split.

You might be on to something there.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

You might be on to something there.

I have drop some tuips before thinking I had ash unti the split I didnt look at the close up til you said that.Its tulip.........

Thanks guys for the imput. Not good at wood ID yet. It split so easy it was ridiculous. I thought I would have to rent a splitter but one shot with the axe and it splits. That truck load is split. I will split the rest on site and bring it to my parents property to season.

Wait a minute there were two posts in between mine. Is tulip bad?

FireAnt said:
It split so easy it was ridiculous.
You wanna see ridiculous - wait till you burn it. :lol:
*POOF* - hot..hot..HOT...Gone.

FireAnt said:

tulip I think is 17-18 million btu's per cord use it in the shoulder season.

Great... I was looking at it when it was splitting and said to myself "Man this looks like balsa". Should I get the rest of it?

FireAnt said:
maybe, depends on how you look at it. when seasoned it will burn hot and fast. more work for less heat basically. a good shoulder wood. I'm not basing this on experience with actual tulip, but with other things like cottonwood, etc.

wood is wood IMO, burn it and be happy. It's just that it's important that you know what you have so that you know how much wood you need to have stacked to heat yourself next winter.

FireAnt said:
Great... I was looking at it when it was splitting and said to myself "Man this looks like balsa". Should I get the rest of it?

Sure thing - ya always got the couple of months before and after "real" winter. Its great stuff for a quick, hot blast to take off a chill. Its not gonna be an over night wood, but it produces heat.

crap, you guys are crazy fast with the replies today.

FireAnt said:

If you need wood what the heck it will be good in the early burning season or late I have a couple cords of it will burn it this March.

Danno77 said:
crap, you guys are crazy fast with the replies today.

My typing zen is strong today.

It's like chat room speed... Thanks so much for the help guys. There will be stove questions coming soon enough...

FireAnt said:
It's like chat room speed... Thanks so much for the help guys. There will be stove questions coming soon enough...

Good luck finding anybody here that knows about them things. %-P

That's norway. Thin bark clinging tight to the sapwood. Probably has a slight aroma of greenbeans when fresh split green.

Ash the size of some of those rounds would have thicker bark.

index.php

This is tulip. Note the ash-like scalloping of the bark and the feathery cambium between the sapwood and bark

DSC02022.png

CrawfordCentury said:
That's norway.

It does have a maple type feathering on the face of the split. I don't know much about Norway maple. Is it considered on the hard side, or soft side? I dunno, this one has me befuddled. I have really only been able to dig up one Norway pic (out of many) that have the Ash bark pattern, but lo and behold there was one to be found. On the tulip side of the fence I was able to reproduce the bark pattern much more easily. And taking into account the OPs statement of it looking like "balsa" leads me back to tulip.

LEE - WHERE THE HECK ARE YA?

Jags said:
CrawfordCentury said:
That's norway.

It does have a maple type feathering on the face of the split. I don't know much about Norway maple. Is it considered on the hard side, or soft side? I dunno, this one has me befuddled. I have really only been able to dig up one Norway pic (out of many) that have the Ash bark pattern, but lo and behold there was one to be found. On the tulip side of the fence I was able to reproduce the bark pattern much more easily. And taking into account the OPs statement of it looking like "balsa" leads me back to tulip.

norway is a hard maple very slow growing yes the bark looks close but that tulip tree is "soft" and splits very easy norway doesn't.

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
CrawfordCentury said:
That's norway.

norway is a hard maple very slow growing yes the bark looks close but that tulip tree is "soft" and splits very easy norway doesn't.

I guess that is my limited understanding of Norway Maple as well. Thats why the OP's reference to the ease of splitting has me convinced otherwise.

***where is that wood whack'in, grease monkey, singing wife guy at anyhow?***

Status
Not open for further replies.