First score!/pics/update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is Norway maple too. Norway is pretty much all I split, because I am trying to remove it from my woods to let the native hardwoods recolonize (Norway maple is considered an invasive exotic tree by some, including me).

In my experience, Norway rounds, when unencumbered by branch knots, split with ease

Does Norway maple burn better than tulip?

FireAnt said:

Define "Better". It has more BTU per cord because of density, but tulip burns like the dickens. Depends on what characteristic you are looking for. If I had a choice, I would wish it to be maple.

FireAnt said:

yes norway is much better wood.

If these trees were in your buddy's father's yard and he said they were maple, then that is pretty strong evidence that they are maples. I'd find it hard to believe that someone could not accurately identify their own yard trees after raking up their damn leaves their whole lives. They are likely Norways because Norway maple is a vigorous street tree, planted often in urban landscapes because it grows so well

I want it to be maple! I want it burn good in a stove in a year or two when it's 10 degrees out.

FireAnt said:
I want it to be maple! I want it burn good in a stove in a year or two when it's 10 degrees out.

When its 10 degrees out - ANY properly seasoned wood it gonna burn good. :coolsmile:

FireAnt said:

lol then maple it is, but the color of the split is just way to white to fight and too thin to win....

Jags asked me what I wanted it to be and I want it to be maple lol. I hope I can get a concrete ID. Thanks again guys for even discussing it!

FireAnt said:
Jags asked me what I wanted it to be and I want it to be maple lol. I hope I can get a concrete ID. Thanks again guys for even discussing it!

lee's the guy to settle it....

sksmass said:
I think it is Norway maple too. Norway is pretty much all I split, because I am trying to remove it from my woods to let the native hardwoods recolonize (Norway maple is considered an invasive exotic tree by some, including me).

In my experience, Norway rounds, when unencumbered by branch knots, split with ease

The ones I've cut and split were definitely on the easy side too. And yes it is invasive - to the extent that some states prohibit nurseries to sell them.

Them things throw off the helicopters something fierce! The natives just can't compete with that kind of fecundity!

FireAnt said:

Akin to red maple, which is good. Not great, but better than popple, pine, or hemlock.

The Norway I've handled were landscape trees. Fast growing in the full sun. Very wide grained.

its ur first score and it was free - can't beat it! best wood is free wood.

f3cbboy said:
its ur first score and it was free - can't beat it! best wood is free wood.

Totally agree.

Looks like norway maple to me, too.
Splits easy, I'm not so sure about a lot of heat.

Here, it grows fast. One reason it was popular as a street planting tree. But the seeds sprout everywhere and anywhere and are considered an invasive species. Once they get 30 feet tall or so they can be hard to grow lawn or anything else under. The leaves do a good job of blocking the sun and the roots are nasty thirsty. :) Not good to have near a garden at all. The leaves rot pretty quick, though.

Trying to split the base of the tree (first piece where the cut was made). Can't get through it at all. All the others split instantly with an axe. I bought an 8# maul today for the rest of the project and tried it on this one piece that didn't split yesterday. Nothing.

FireAnt said:
Trying to split the base of the tree (first piece where the cut was made). Can't get through it at all. All the others split instantly with an axe. I bought an 8# maul today for the rest of the project and tried it on this one piece that didn't split yesterday. Nothing.
how big is the base? if it's big and you are trying to bust it in half, try taking off chunks around the edges. do some searching around here for more information on how to split large rounds (if that's the problem).

FireAnt said:

Sounds about right. That first buck off the stump a lot of times is pretty stubborn. I've had some easy splitting trees like red maple, oak, and ash with bottom bucks that just made the maul bounce back.

Usually just pull out the saw, flip the buck on its side and make noodles. Once in half, they yield much easier.

It's the same size as the rest of them just stubborn like you said. Thanks for the advice.

Anthony

Hey Everybody,

I was splitting with my dad today. I am going to go with calling it Maple. The whole place is maple trees. I used the tire method. I highly recommend it! The wood has a defined grain and somewhat smells like green beans not balsa'ish at all (like I said before). In the middle of splitting my dad told me he wants to get me a stove! He said he wanted it to be a gift. I have lots more questions in that department...Great day splitting wood with dad!

Status
Not open for further replies.