1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

First time carving!

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Gary_602z, May 12, 2012.

1. Gary_602z

Gary_602z Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Odessa,MI

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. milleo

milleo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maine
    Wow that is wicked nice........
  3. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Pretty jaw dropping. It reminds me of the old German Black Forest stag head carvings.

[​IMG]
    Backwoods Savage and ScotO like this.
  4. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    oh wow thats incredible
  5. bfunk13

bfunk13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wyoming
    First time? That is about as good as it gets.
    ScotO likes this.
  6. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Beautiful!
  7. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Nice......
  8. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Incredible! That is some awesome craftsmanship, if that is a first time carving, that guy missed his calling! A buddy of mine does that kind of stuff for a living, not sure if he's ever done something so intricate before though. Thanks for the pic! here's a link to my buddy's webpage....

http://rannelsrustics.com/
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Simply amazing!
  10. yooperdave

yooperdave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan's U.P.
    Got this as an e-mail some time ago also. great work. But, don't try to cram that "first time carving" stuff along with a few pics. That's the trouble with web pics and e-mails. You can add anything to the pics/videos you want. Just stay on Hearth.com if you want the genuine stuff!!!
  11. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    It seems genuine to me when I read the article. He probably has enough woodworking skills that he can apply them to another facet of woodworking and he created that mount. Six months off an on is a long time to work on that and I'm sure he put a lot of thought into that project. A seasoned carver could probably make that in a few weeks, but the laminating of the antlers and the actual execution of rounding them out is a testament to his work.

I'd say he could make a few extra "bucks" selling them(that pun was not intended), but he would have to cut his time down drastically to make it worthwhile. He had several people interested in buying one under the comments section on the link. Still, a true work of art in itself.
  12. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Ya, there's some problem solving and engineering on top of the raw skill there. I don't know if this is really his first or not, but some folks can do amazing art work on the first shot- my brother seems to have that ability.

I saw some of those carvings one of the times I went to Germany- usually you're in a castle with so much amazing stuff that it's easy to miss or to assume they're actual heads