First time chimney cleaning question (blaze king insert)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tdibiasio

Oct 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Hi all,

Last year I installed a blaze King princess insert as well as an ovalized liner. Without going into all the details it will be very challenging to slide out and disconnect the liner to vacuum inside the connection point after sweeping. I am hoping to brush down the liner directly into the firebox so I am planning to open the bypass before brushing. After looking at recent pictures of the cutaway that bkvp posted it seems like most of the dust and debris should be diverted away from the combuster by the bypass door ?? But I am getting nervous about screwing something up.

Can anyone offer advise/ tricks for how best to proceed? Should I try to insert something like cardboard inside to further divert the debris? I am sure that others do this without removing the liner so please help a new BKing owner not make a mistake....

TomD

The flue collar on the Princess insert is positioned in such a way that the debris falls into the firebox. Just open the bypass and sweep it. You probably will need to buy an 8" broom and trim it down to fit the ovalized liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.