first time cleaning flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ugabulldog

Hearth Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
South Carolina
I will try to explain best I can and use the correct terminology as I have never done this before...This is for a 8" round duct.....I removed the round metal cover on top of the rain cap/flue cover but brush is too tight to to go inside cap pipe so I need to remove entire cap. Also, screws are hard to get to due to the chimney cap (meaning the big black square piece that hides the cap) so I want to make sure I am doing this right the first time. What screws in picture (labeled 1,2, and 3) do I need to remove the cap or is there something else I should know/do? Thanks

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
It's hard to tell because the picture is so close, but I would start with screws #3 and it it won't slide off screws #2 are also holding the cap on.

From the picture it's not clear. Is that the very top of the chimney? Not were it comes out of the roof. You do need it open to the chimney. So all the cap needs to come off or open to the same diameter as the chimney. My cap comes off with a 1 inch turn. Mine has screws that hold the bottom of the cap to the top, but you don't take them apart. Maybe some one has your setup and can explain what you have to do.

From the picture it's not clear. Is that the very top of the chimney? Not were it comes out of the roof. You do need it open to the chimney. So all the cap needs to come off or open to the same diameter as the chimney. My cap comes off with a 1 inch turn. Mine has screws that hold the bottom of the cap to the top, but you don't take them apart. Maybe some one has your setup and can explain what you have to do.

Yes, that is the top of the chimney, ie; the metal sheet that the cap is resting on is.

I took a few more pics. I cant see how any of the screws are holding it on, I tried twisting and pulling it up, it moved VERY slightly but didn't want to come out and I did not want to pull too hard without knowing if there was more to it.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 158
I think you can trim a poly brush or use a rotary cleaner. But I'm no expert.

How big of a brush are you using?? It appears you have the top off so if it's a poly brush that is the same size as the liner (8"?) you just push it past it. If it's to big then you need a smaller brush. Fairly straightforward. I'm not sure where you're having a problem. It looks easy enough from the pictures.

How big of a brush are you using?? It appears you have the top off so if it's a poly brush that is the same size as the liner (8"?) you just push it past it. If it's to big then you need a smaller brush. Fairly straightforward. I'm not sure where you're having a problem. It looks easy enough from the pictures.

I am using an 8" round wire brush, i got it just inside but was scared to push past first "male" pipe at top because it was so tight (you can see scratch marks in second picture) I did not think I could get it back out. Would a poly brush be better because bristles have more give? Thanks again.

Last edited:
If you're sure it's and 8" liner then the brush should go down it fine but you need to be sure it's 8". It should just fit in and still be tight but you shouldn't have to force it in........I'm having to try way to hard to not make any snarky comments here ;):) I myself prefer a poly or soft bristle brush for these types of liners but a round wire steel brush should be ok. If it seems absolutely to tight you can always take a pair of wire cutters and trim a little bit off of the tips of the steel to make it smaller. It's a lot of work but it's an option.

I have looked at videos online and they all show a different style cap at the top that is removed before cleaning. If you look at the second picture, you can see that the ID of the cap pipe is smaller than pipe is sits inside.

Last edited:
I will try to explain best I can and use the correct terminology as I have never done this before...This is for a 8" round duct.....I removed the round metal cover on top of the rain cap/flue cover but brush is too tight to to go inside cap pipe so I need to remove entire cap. Also, screws are hard to get to due to the chimney cap (meaning the big black square piece that hides the cap) so I want to make sure I am doing this right the first time. What screws in picture (labeled 1,2, and 3) do I need to remove the cap or is there something else I should know/do? Thanks

What kind fuel are u burning with this?? Gas, coal, wood, oil??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk