First time splitting wood today! Took me right back to Napa Valley!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix Hatchling

Minister of Fire
Dec 26, 2012
New Fairfield, CT
Damn if split oak doesn't smell like a wine barrel of Cabernet! Very addictive and I sniffed each piece I cut!

Damn if split oak doesn't smell like a wine barrel of Cabernet! Very addictive and I sniffed each piece I cut!

I hope you did this in private..otherwise the neighbors might think you've been drinking too much wine! LOL.

I hope you did this in private..otherwise the neighbors might think you've been drinking too much wine! LOL.
Neighbors did see me! I just offered them a piece.

Neighbors did see me! I just offered them a piece . . . along with some cheese.

I fixed your quote . . . :)

I actually often end up sniffing my cherry and apple wood when I split it . . . wife caught me once sniffing the wood . . . wanted to know "what in hell are you doing?"

Reactions: ScotO and HDRock
You must be talking White Oak, right? (Pics, please. ==c)
I've split some White rounds that have sat for a couple years aging, and the smell was heavenly. Took me twice as long as usual to split it, with all the sniffing I was doing. :)

You must be talking White Oak, right? (Pics, please. ==c)
I've split some White rounds that have sat for a couple years aging, and the smell was heavenly. Took me twice as long as usual to split it, with all the sniffing I was doing. :)
Honestly don't know what kind of oak, but it is intoxicating. Even now, as I walk out the back door I get hit in the puss by the sweet oak.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Red oak smells like vinegar....for sure

Any Oak ok, Black Locust on the other hand - yech. I just think BTU's though.

I love the smell red oak and chestnut oak.......but white oak is the best smelling wood of any, HANDS DOWN, when you split it. Cherry brings in a close second.

Now pin oak, well that almost smells like horse manure IMO.......nasty chit......

Any Oak ok, Black Locust on the other hand - yech. I just think BTU's though.
The stench seems to come from under the bark; The split wood smells OK....

I was on the golf course a couple of days ago and said to the guys I was playing with, do you guys smell that black walnut? They of course thought I was nuts. I smelled it. Don't know where it was coming from.

Reactions: ScotO
I was on the golf course a couple of days ago and said to the guys I was playing with, do you guys smell that black walnut? They of course thought I was nuts. I smelled it. Don't know where it was coming from.
fresh-cut black walnut has that "fine furniture" smell to it.....another one of my faves!

fresh-cut black walnut has that "fine furniture" smell to it.....another one of my faves!
So does the "fresh"-cut, twenty-year-old top I found out there recently. ::-)

Reactions: ScotO
Seems like wood sniffing is catching on around here lately. :rolleyes:
Like stacking splits, it is a harmless addiction for us woodheads. Heck, maybe it even fends off cancer, like the cruciferous vegetables do. ==c

Ok....if you guys start snorting wood chips I'm gonna start to worry.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Ok....if you guys start snorting wood chips I'm gonna start to worry.
"Well, I can't stop now....I'm addicted!" George Costanza. ;lol

I love the smell red oak and chestnut oak.......but white oak is the best smelling wood of any, HANDS DOWN, when you split it. Cherry brings in a close second.

Now pin oak, well that almost smells like horse manure IMO.......nasty chit......

We can tell that Scott has not cut much sassafras!

Status
Not open for further replies.