First timer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Singley

Oct 29, 2014
Athol Ma
Hi guys!

I have never owned a pellet stove and will be purchasing our first this year. Does anyone have any links for reviews with price ranges? I've been looking everywhere and cannot find such a site... just reviews without the prices.

Thanks!
Singley

Unfortunately the prices differ so much by area... Best bet is to list your candidates and people will chime in with the price they paid in your area.

Or at the other spectrum, give us your budget.

Cheers.

If you are fine with a refurb, check out AM/FM for some refurbed Englander. Other than that, I think the smaller Drolet is under 2K. Someone will chime in.

Google pellet stove manufacturers and get a list going on. That's what I did. Then look at their sites because many have dealer locators and it is worth looking into to see different stoves. I am also new so I can not offer many suggestions. I did look at AM/FM like Polar Bear has said. They had some deals there. I almost bought a used Englander and it was a good deal @ $500 but sold within several hours of posting. Being new to pellets I was hesitant on buying used also. I wouldn't be so hesitant now. There are good deals on good used stoves but it is what you are comfortable with. Although this time of the year is not ideal for cheaper prices. Research and do your homework. Good Luck! I am sure people will offer good suggestions here. Hang tight and wait for some answers.

Hey I just saw on another thread where tjnamtiw suggested a stove to another person looking. It's on amfmenergy.com. It's a Timber Ridge 55. Check them out. Might fit your bill.

Keep in mind the cost of venting also, it's more than you might think.

Reactions: bags
I saw reviews on here but I didn't see any prices.. I do know prices vary by location. We know venting can be expensive. Thanks for the help tho. :)

Welcome to the forum and good luck sorting through the choices
amfmenergy - Mike the main tech for Englander (includes Timber Ridge/Summers Heat) is a forum member who is pretty good on checking in here and responding to the emails that are sent to his address in his sig. He does the refurbishing...
http://www.amfmenergy.com/manufacturer-refurbished-stoves.html

Reactions: Owen1508
Welcome and your doing the right thing.my first stove I bought used payed $1500 for it and did barter on the labor.I thought I was getting a deal and did no reseach.it was a nightmare well 5 service calls that were not cheap later I decided to do months of research and went with a Harman p35i.traded in the first for $200 that they used for scrap metal.This is my second season and knock on wood had not disappointed.what ever brand you choose with a new stove you have a warranty.so keep doing your research and take your time way all pros and cons and get brand that fits the bill for you.Good luck

I'm going to try to help, but keep in mind I'm a noob who hasn't fired up his stove yet. ;lol I did a ton of research here along the way. I'm in Ct so pricing should be close to Mass unless you jump the border to NH, you may find it cheaper there..

I too had a $2000 budget in mind when I went out shopping in September. I was looking at the Englander 25ep I think was the model and the summers heat at Lowes (same model, Lowes re-brand). At the box stores they were around $1500. The Englanders range from $1000- $2000. They had to order the stove, so I went to a couple of large stove dealers to see what they had, their prices were pretty good, with a couple others being outrageously over priced. Shop around.
I found the quadra fires ranged from $2000- $3500.
The Harmans ranged from $3200- $5000.
Heatalators ranged from $1400- $2500.
A few others that I can't remember the brand, all ranging from $1500- $5000.
At the stove stores I got to see them working, open them up and mess around a bit with them, ask questions, that helped me a lot. I ended up blowing my budget because I did not want to regret it later. However, I mainly blew my budget because I did not research the pipe first. ;em
I got a quadra fire classic bay for $2400 out the door. I was/am replacing a wood stove in the basement. After researching here(after purchase) I bought a 4" flex chimney liner kit to run the entire chimney, that ran $600. Three tons of lacretes on order for $900, and I'm out $4000.

Questions for you. You have a 1800 square foot single level house. Where are you placing the stove, main level or basement? Central location or at the end of the house? Open floor plan or lots of hallways and doors?

I'm sure you can find all the help here you want, the more info you give them the better, but its probably already here some place anyway if you look around. Good luck!

I have a St Croix Hastings. It cost us about $5000 which includes venting hearth pad and installation. I know this is a bit out of your desired price range.

My house is 2 levels but I only heat my upper floor which is just about 1800sqft. My stove is placed in the living room at one end of the house and our bedrooms are at the other end. We keep our bedroom doors open and stay toasty warm all winter.

The stove will be placed on the main floor and not in the basement. Our ideal spot would be centrally located in the kitchen but that would mean we would have to vent through the roof and remove an interior wall. Which we cannot afford lol. Then I thought about placing it in our fireplace but it needs to be repointed. So I don't feel comfortable doing that. Our only option is to place it on one end of the house. Our house is 62-67 ft long. There's currently 2 heating zones on oil heat. I know with our budget, we will be supplementing with oil still. The second thermostat is at the very end of the house, so if it stays chilly down there, heat won't be an issue.

The kitchen, livingroom and dining room are pretty much open to eachother. The bedrooms and bathroom are all down a long hallway

Singley,
With a little work and creativity you can find many install locations. When you are narrowing down the stove choices look at the manuals (online PDF files etc;) to determine clearances. Many are about the same. Next explore your install options. These stoves are not difficult to self install at all but you would need some handy skills. Can you upload a basic floor plan or photos? A simple thru the wall exhaust and OAK Outside Air Kit will be the least expensive and works fine if you can meet minimum clearances etc;
You can also move air around with box fans, ceiling fans etc; You might be surprised (although not ideal) how well a stove can heat being at one end of the house. Air movement is key. Do you have forced air oil heat? With forced air you can go to fan only and move air also.

I can envision your floor plan but it's a guess. Pipe runs are expensive but you can roughly figure out what you will need and can work up price for that. Sometimes running slightly over budget offers a better return later. Sad to say but over budget always happens and staying on budget is nearly impossible but can be done if you work at it. You have to be smart and planning is vital.

We don't have forced air. Also don't have any plans. I can draw something up but I'm no artist haha. I'm going to make a list of what's available to me and post it here. Hopefully I will get some yay or nays.

Sounds good. Get your plan together and throw it out here. There are many critics around! :) You could also upload some pics of places you are thinking of for the stoves new home. There are many people that are very helpful and we have ALL been in your shoes.

The stove will be placed on the main floor and not in the basement. Our ideal spot would be centrally located in the kitchen but that would mean we would have to vent through the roof and remove an interior wall. Which we cannot afford lol. Then I thought about placing it in our fireplace but it needs to be repointed. So I don't feel comfortable doing that. Our only option is to place it on one end of the house. Our house is 62-67 ft long. There's currently 2 heating zones on oil heat. I know with our budget, we will be supplementing with oil still. The second thermostat is at the very end of the house, so if it stays chilly down there, heat won't be an issue.

are you sure you can't get a fireplace insert? they run a liner down the chimney, so as long as the chimney is not blocked or anything, maybe then can still run the liner down the chimney? it would save you from adding another hole in your house, plus the room it would save you to put in an insert vs. a free standing stove. not to mention that fireplaces tend to be very centrally placed in homes. might be worth asking if you can do an insert if you haven't already.

there was a vendor in holliston i think who would send out his install crew to spec out the job before quoting the price of the install. this might be a good way. only problem is, i think inserts generally cost a bit more than a free stander.

Reactions: Lake Girl and bags
Singley - I came to the same thought as thundercracker - repointing can be delayed on the fireplace as a chimney liner is used for that installation type. However, you would also need to plan for an OAK (outside air kit). There are dealers out there who say you don't need them but ... your stove will burn better if it has a dedicated air source and your house will feel less drafty since air infiltration will not be occurring as rapidly from areas around the doors/windows, etc. You also save a few $$ by not using preheated inside air for combustion that will only go to heat the great outdoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.