First Weekly Cleaning on the AGP!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellandee

Dec 4, 2014
California
Got out the manual; watched the video; monitored the Internet. Bought the 10' extension hose for the shop-vac so it would sit outside. Got the Profanity List ready for usage.

It went well. The trick of sticking a piece of 1/2" flexible EMT into the vacuum hose helped immensely.

I think I got everything mentioned and a little more. I sure don't want to go into the back of the insert more than once or twice a year, so I hope all the front end cleaning is enough.

I've been dumping the small amount of ashes in the pan every day, but it sounds like I shouldn't do it so often so as to save the gasket.

I wish we had a subforum here for Travis owners. Seems like Harman leads the pack.

Of course, I play Martin guitars. Don't talk to me about Taylors or Gibsons.

Richard

Last edited:
Sorry no one got back to you ... glad to hear cleaning went reasonably well. Hit many on the Profanity List? ;lol First one is usually toughest.

Much ash in there when you opened it up? What levels do you normally burn at? Lower burn rates do generally clog it up quicker.

Not sure how accessible your chimney is but you could do a Leaf Blower Trick. However, this is probably best if you are out in the boonies as close neighbours likely wouldn't appreciate it!

So what's wrong with Taylors or Gibsons? ;hm ;lol

Seem to be fewer Travis industries owners.

Avalon = Lopi as far as sub brands go.

My stove was the model design right before the agp came out.

I've had good luck. When I did have an issue there was a solid cause(failing part).

I like that I don't have to perform any daily cleaning. None of this scrape the burn pot nonsense.

I don't dump the pan daily. I vacuum it out during my weekly cleaning.

Reactions: Ellandee
Sorry no one got back to you ... glad to hear cleaning went reasonably well. Hit many on the Profanity List? ;lol First one is usually toughest.

Much ash in there when you opened it up? What levels do you normally burn at? Lower burn rates do generally clog it up quicker.

Not sure how accessible your chimney is but you could do a Leaf Blower Trick. However, this is probably best if you are out in the boonies as close neighbours likely wouldn't appreciate it!

So what's wrong with Taylors or Gibsons? ;hm ;lol

Not too much ash in the back, and the shopvac with an extra vacuum tube with 18" of flexible watertight electrical metallic conduit on the end made short work of the dust. Not any profanity at all! I do burn it on low overnight (TStat Program 3) and the house stays in the low to mid 70's all night.

Taylors and Gibsons are really great instruments of world-class caliber. I guess we all develop an ear for one over the others. If I played the blues much, I'd have a Gibson. If I recorded a lot, I'd have a Taylor as well.

But for the pure acoustic tone I like, Martins do it for me.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.