First winter with my new Lopi/Leyden PS pellet stove> sift pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading posts like this makes me realize how far on the opposite side of the spectrum I am to OCD... I got a pellet stove so I didn't have to mess with this stuff, Dumping in a pail, scooping out with an ice scoop, sifting, no way :) Takes me about 6 seconds to tear open a bag, dump it in and be back on the couch. 8 sec if I have to stop at the fridge for a beer ;)

Reactions: RickNH
Usually only see the need to sift if the bag has gotten wet.Most good stoves will eat the normal.Have 5 gal bucket with holes in bottom,to sift.Does not happen very often,However there are some cheaper stoves that do not like any fines at all.Usually i just take the bad bag out in the yard and dump it

Reactions: maewolf
I don't sift, I watch the sparks fly in the stove as the hopper is close to empty. I do vacuum the fine box every other week as part of my weekly cleaning routine. Harman XXV

Reactions: maewolf
Fines=fuel.

Usually only see the need to sift if the bag has gotten wet.Most good stoves will eat the normal.Have 5 gal bucket with holes in bottom,to sift.Does not happen very often,However there are some cheaper stoves that do not like any fines at all.Usually i just take the bad bag out in the yard and dump it

That's a good idea about a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled in the bottom for when you must sift. I will not sift my next bag and see what happens with unsifted pellets. Thank you and all for your helpful suggestions and comments...VERY helpful!

Not sure how my auger would react over all. I vacuum my pellets to try to avoid a problem but also to keep the dust to a minimum in my living room. Dislike the dust mushroom that occurs when loading otherwise and it settles into the body of the stove (hopper not sealed) to be picked up by the convection blower and tossed around the room.

Git yourself a K&N washable filter for your room air blower intake. The come in all sizes and shapes and fairly east to adapt. Keeps the dust at bay and out of your blower system. Guess I'm partial, I'm a K&N dealer.

Git yourself a K&N washable filter for your room air blower intake. The come in all sizes and shapes and fairly east to adapt. Keeps the dust at bay and out of your blower system. Guess I'm partial, I'm a K&N dealer.

Can you cut me a deal on a cold air intake for a Ram 1500?? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.