First wood rack attempt (er...resounding success)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Schaefer

Aug 28, 2012
Lakewood, WA
I built this a few months back. It was mostly free minus the 16' 2x4s on the top, and the osb for the roof. My neighbor just gave me some free rolled roofing, so that'll be going on today. It's not pretty, but I'm proud of it. After looking on here I'm ready to build another in a year when we move and get a bit of property. Hope to build something to hold a few more cords.

16'x5'x40" strange dimension pallets. Don't have much room to work with, but I have another pile going in another part of the yard, when this one is empty (I figure around January) I'll move the other pile to this rack.

rack.jpg

And a kindling box / patio bench

kindling.jpg

very well done....much nicer than the sheets of scrap osb i use to cover my stacks

Thanks! $9 sheet for the osb wasn't terrible, but I enjoy building things, so about $30 total and a day of something to do. I could spend that going to a movie for two hours. ;)

The kindling box was originally 9' long and no lid, I've made a few of those exact boxes from all the free 9' ones I aquired. The top is pallet slats, a little stain I had left over. Just about everything I make is recycled pallets or boxes of some kind. Now I just need to get busy with the kindling :D

Nice rack, I think I need a couple of those to keep the snow off my firewood.

Not bad at all, considering the cost I think its pretty damm nice! I gotta build me one someday........

That's a Shed... Not a Rack.

Looks great. I would be very proud to call that mine!

I agree, Nice Shed!
Nice work, you'll appreciate it even more when it raining or the snow flies :)

Reactions: PapaDave
Great for your first attempt. I can hardly wait to see your second attempt!!!

Fixed yer thread title for ya. ;)

Thats very nice, similar idea to what Im doing, Ill show pics of mine when Im done, may ask you for a couple of tips too, Im going to try and finish mine this weekend. I have a 13 1/2 foot rack and (3) 13 1/2 footers abuting each other so its over 40 feet long.

Nice work Eric. Seeing other people's work inspires me to get moving on my own. Thanks!

Nicely done!

Nice shed, but I really dig that bench / box

Looks nice and neat to me.

Now you just need a big blue tarp to use as a canopy so you can split in the rain. Ha !

Looks good and should work good - can't beat that. And as you say, a frew bucks for a day;s enjoyhment building it. Good call!

Nice shed, but I really dig that bench / box
Thanks! I like those things. The wife has her own she stores blankets in. Before I built the box, the shell of it was upright in my wood Shed (==c ), with three shelves in it. I decided that wasn't the way to go.

It's after 9, still didn't get around to making kindling. <> But it's about 1/4 full already.

Nice projects. Good for you for the low cost. The free stuff is out there. I am building a small wood storage box right now in the early stages.

Nice job on the wood rack Eric. Nice work on the wood pile. I see you let no wood of the tree go to waste.

Really liking that kindling box.

Status
Not open for further replies.