Fisher Mother In Law- can i weld in a damper ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yetty734

Dec 10, 2007
Central OH
i have a fisher mother in law stove. it isnt nearly as bad of a wood monster as i thought it was. what i am wondering is if:

1. will a weld hold up to the temperature of the stove

2. is the stove box steel or cast iron(can u weld cast iron)

3. will the baffle effect the draft of the stove...if so how much, it is reduced to 6" already, but no smoke comes out of the firebox unless the wood is really smokey(never).

4. anyone have Design ideas or pictures

i ran this stove for the last 4 days for the first time and the electric heat didnt come on once....the thermostat was at 68 degrees. the stove is in the basement of a 40x100 ranch house with a somwhat enclosed floor plan. very happy with its wood usage and heat throw. used maybe a 3/32 of a cord...maybe less. part of it had been in the basement since last year tho so it was super over dry and burned to fast.

thanks guys

ccb

Hmmm, never heard of that stove model, and obviously you know that reducing it is verboten, so you're not going to get a lecture on that....

But Fisher stoves are made of plate steel, easily weldable....because they are welded in the first place! But installing a baffle would not only have little effect, but would void the UL safety label, so if anything were to happen you might have some questions asked.

But if you live in an uninsured house with no mortgage or insurance, or are simply into R&D;in order to become a wood stove engineer like Corie here, then I would say this - if I were given such a stove and had to increase the efficiency, I woudl mimic the designs of earlier EPA models that had a baffle made of firebrick sitting on heavy angle irons, which sit on brackets welded to the inside. Then I would introduce air - again, by looking at stove designs - in the front of that baffle.
Of course, this may do absolutely nothing, but if was inventing the wheel, I would take a while to figure out that the best one is round. Some of us just like to reinvent it.

Status
Not open for further replies.