Fiskars and green Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Who needs hydraulics?
(click on picture)
th_MOV06831.jpg

That was only to easy lift on the truck size. Down to splits would only have been a minute or so more.

Thats awesome Ford,,,I just split some big Red Oak last week with the Fiskars, what a great tool to have in your arsenal. I think it lives up to the hipe.

well sure, straight red oak is relatively easy to split...especially in those big pieces. Love the video! I have not split by hand in 5 years and miss it. I do take some whacks when camping on our property. My back cannot handle the impact/vibrations...nor can my elbow or my shoulder over the long haul. I'm only 42 but trying to keep all impacts off my body before it totally breaks down...

Enjoy burning that Red Oak. I usually have 1-2 cords of it...so 20-25% of my wood. Next year may be the last for a few as I have a boat load of Locust for the next few years.

Very nice vid FlatbedFord. I really enjoy using my Fiskars X27. So much so, I purposefully left a bunch of rounds unsplit from my splitter just so I could use the SS. My wife thought I was silly, but I told her it was almost shear joy to use such a fine instrument.

Reactions: Senatormofo
as it should be! Thanks for sharing. Wish I had some oak where I cut.

pen

Excellent video! It's like I've always said, those big oak rounds almost fall apart on their own as long as they aren't full of knots, no reason to be afraid of splitting them until you try. I called around this morning looking for one of those long-handled Fiskars (I even called Fiskars in Madison for help finding a store) but nobody within 50 miles of my house has any. They said they can order them, but I want to look at the thing first, hold it in my hands, and I don't buy stuff online. Maybe as it gets closer to Christmas somebody will decide to stock one.

quads said:
I called around this morning looking for one of those long-handled Fiskars (I even called Fiskars in Madison for help finding a store) but nobody within 50 miles of my house has any. They said they can order them, but I want to look at the thing first, hold it in my hands, and I don't buy stuff online. Maybe as it gets closer to Christmas somebody will decide to stock one.

I purchased mine from Amazon w/o handling it first, but it worked out great...if you are willing to buy online...
http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-7884-...BAQE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321396774&sr=8-1

Red oak is easy. That's my point. With the easy hardwoods such as Oak, Ash, Cherry, Black Locust, there is no reason to be afraid of big rounds. In fact the big ones may be easier than the small ones. For one thing, they don't fall over when you whack 'em. Anything that looks to me like it will be hard to split does not come home with me. I just don't have the time and energy for it. Now that I have 3 years worth at the house I will be a wood snob. No reason for me to fight with the stuff any more. The sledge and wedges almost never come out now.
I use the bigger Super Spitting Axe to quarter them out in the woods and finish them off at home with lighter Pro Splitting axe. It is easier on my 41 year old body.

I'm the world's biggest skeptic so I bought an X25 in late May to see what all the hype was.

I'd been using a Sotz Monster Maul almost exclusively for 30 yrs at the time,occasionally my old Plumb double-bit or sledge/wedges for the stubborn or extra large ones.

I LOVE IT!!! Easily 70% of the wood I cut is dead Red/Black Oak,with the remainder White or Bur Oak & Shagbark Hickory.Since I got it I've split about 9 cords approximately.At least 95% of the Red/Black splits with one strike,except for the rare spiral grain or knotty one.Even dead 4-5 yrs. The White Oak is much more stringy,most of it over 7"-8" I have to break out the big maul.What Hickory I've found so far the X25 works almost as easy as the Red Oak.

Will be getting an X27 before too long.

Thistle said:
I'm the world's biggest skeptic so I bought an X25 in late May to see what all the hype was.

I'd been using a Sotz Monster Maul almost exclusively for 30 yrs at the time,occasionally my old Plumb double-bit or sledge/wedges for the stubborn or extra large ones.

I LOVE IT!!! Easily 70% of the wood I cut is dead Red/Black Oak,with the remainder White or Bur Oak & Shagbark Hickory.Since I got it I've split about 9 cords approximately.At least 95% of the Red/Black splits with one strike,except for the rare spiral grain or knotty one.Even dead 4-5 yrs. The White Oak is much more stringy,most of it over 7"-8" I have to break out the big maul.What Hickory I've found so far the X25 works almost as easy as the Red Oak.

Yeah Im excited about using my fiskars x27 just picked it up tonight cant wait to use it tommorow!
Surely it will be better the old 8lbs battle ax.

Thistle said:

You got it Thistle, I swore I would never use a wedge again, but I cut a big white oak down that has gotten the better of me. It laughs at the Fiskars and even my Monster Maul struggles. Red Oak is a breeze. I am hoping it will get easier when it freezes and my elbow heels up. I got golfers elbow and even with a cortisone shot it still hurts. I guess the body is starting to give out a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.