Fiskars Pro Splitter Disappoints

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gerry100 said:
The equation is E=M x v(SQUARED).

Where "E" is the impact energy imparted to the wood.

M is the Mass of the maul head.

V is the velocity of the head at impact.

As you can see. going from a 6lb to an 8 lb increses the impact by 33%.

BUT... if it messes up your stroke to slow down the speed more than 15% you lose.

In my bombastic opinion- the Fiskars are too light and since our impact velocities are limited by other factors, one does not pick up enough speed to offset the loss in mass. The cutting edge shape is cute and may offer advantages but I think this is a device for gadgeteers.

As in golf - "you can't buy a swing"

You clearly have not tried the Fiskars.

I parked my old trusty maul about 30 seconds after making a few swings with the Fiskars. Its an incredible tool. What added to its versatility is I screwed an old 12" ATV tire to a 18" length of large diameter round to use as the splitting base. I cut the steel bead out of the tire with a sawzall, then cut 8 diagonal slits from the center hole through the sidewall to the first tread. I can get a 14" diameter round in it, split it into 6 or eight pieces if needed, and it all stays in the tire until I am done. If you ain't tried it yet, do so. I saw a couple of videos on youtube to implement the idea. I like that Fiskars splitter.

Dune said:
but I hate the short handle and want a heavier model
If it came in a full size handle and 6# head, I maybe could justify buying one. If for no other reason than it's kind of a neat looking gadget and if I didn't like it, it would at least look cool hanging on the wall. But I'd want a bigger/beefier one than what they offer now before I'd even consider it. Especially a longer handle.

Whatever works for the individual.

The short handle and the head shape must add control and splitting action that makes up for the impact energy.

Physics says it will never have the 'pop" of an accurately and skillfully stroked maul.

I agree with Quads - if they made a full size maul with some of the features that may be worth it.

You've all got my curiosity peaked now.

I've been looking all over the Net and don't see that they actually make a full size one. (I wish one of you that owned one lived closer to me, I'd love to give it a few swings and see what it would do.) If they made it in a full size and weight, it might be a good tool for me to own. Around here they sell a slightly shorter and lighter than normal ax and they call it a "boy's ax". If I brought home one of those little Fiskars splitters, all my buddies would say "Oh how cute, a boys' splitting maul." Then they'd ask "What are you doing with a boy's splitting maul." Then I'd have to make up a story. I hate lies, so I wouldn't like that very much! ha ha

Sharp I don't care about because I'm not trying to CUT the wood. When I was a much younger man, I made the mistake once of sharpening my maul and needless to say, I will never make that mistake again. Over the years it has dulled itself back into it's own best shape and really busts the wood open, like it should.

The $50 price tag is hard to justify. I'd have to sell two loads of wood to pay for it, and that's without leaving any extra money for beer! Also, I've been using the same 6# maul head for 30 years and the same 34 inch handle for 25. It's hard for me to blow 50 bucks on a leap of faith.

Is the handle replaceable? It looks like some different sort of handle wrapped around the OUTSIDE of the head? I understand they're supposed to be tough, but whenever Murphy can get his hands on me, he usually does. Sure as heck, I'd swing into one of those splintered rounds and a splinter would ram the handle and wreck it. I still run into a lot of that kind of splintered wood around here, even several years since the tornado went through.

If one of you Fiskars little splitter believers lives near the Central Sands of Wisconsin and wants to demonstrate how great a tool it is, let me know. I'm very interested. Otherwise, without trying one first, I will only consider it if they offer a full size one someday.

quads and gerry100 - When I bought the 2.25lb Pro Splitting Ax I had no intention of using it as a splitter. I just wanted a nice, handy, small ax. If anyone had told me that it would completely replace my maul I would have looked at them like they had just said the moon was made of green cheese. Forget physics, forget what you think and try one.

Bigg_Redd said:
quads and gerry100 - When I bought the 2.25lb Pro Splitting Ax I had no intention of using it as a splitter. I just wanted a nice, handy, small ax. If anyone had told me that it would completely replace my maul I would have looked at them like they had just said the moon was made of green cheese. Forget physics, forget what you think and try one.
Yes, I would very much like to try one! It's the only way I might ever be convinced to buy one. Oh, and yours is the lighter version yet. Hmmm. I think even my single bit ax is 3.5 pounds. I've just got to see this thing in action. If someone uploaded a video somewhere; but my dialup connection is soooooooo slooooooow that it wouldn't do me any good. I don't have the patience to wait that long to watch a video.

Hate to use the golf analogy again but it might keep the debate going.

Most golfers these days use cavity backed clubs because the Physics ( polar moments of inertia mainly) allow decent shots without perfect contact.

The pros use "blades" because they can get more power,accuracy and control out of there precise swings.

Think of cavity back when you think Fiskars.

quads said:
Bigg_Redd said:
Yes, I would very much like to try one! It's the only way I might ever be convinced to buy one. Oh, and yours is the lighter version yet. Hmmm. I think even my single bit ax is 3.5 pounds. I've just got to see this thing in action. If someone uploaded a video somewhere; but my dialup connection is soooooooo slooooooow that it wouldn't do me any good. I don't have the patience to wait that long to watch a video.

Ask and ye shall receive..........

Nonprophet said:
Wow! Thanks for that! And music even! It took me 45 minutes to download it on my stupid slow connection, but I started it downloading then went and ate supper and it was done about the same time I was.

Looks like it splits very well, maybe even as good as my maul would have split that straight wood. I would still probably have to try one in the hard dead oak here, before spending that kind of money on it though. Was that the really light version of the splitter, or the little bit heavier one? How tall are you/or whoever the guy swinging it?

I like your idea about the bungee cord thing. I always have various lengths of bungee cord and pieces of rope in my ATV. I'll try that the next time I'm out in the woods!

mikepinto65 said:
Only $41 for the Super Splitter, just ordered one up (shipping included). seems to be the best deal i've seen for it so far.
Only.......so that's two loads of wood I'd have to sell and $9 left over for beer! Starting to look better. Next time I get to town I'll have to ask the guys at the hardware store if they carry them and if I can try it out before I buy it! They might just let me.....if they carry them.

Wow! Thanks for posting that vid...and the e-bay link. I may have to ask Santa for one of these. That thing splits...and fast!

When I first got my Fiskars I thought to myself there is no way this thing will replace my mall!! too light and a short handle just dont seem to add up. To my suprise that thing would just bust chunks off of knotted maple with ease, then tried it on some knotted ash, still busted chunk off. This week I was given some free oak from my brother (already cut to length and seasoned for 2 years. Thanks dude) and the first thing I thought was that my Fiskars was not up to the task, WRONG!! that thing split the oak so easily, it was fun. Less weight does equall more precision and way less fatigue. I really love my fiskars.

quads said:
Nonprophet said:
Wow! Thanks for that! And music even! It took me 45 minutes to download it on my stupid slow connection, but I started it downloading then went and ate supper and it was done about the same time I was.

Looks like it splits very well, maybe even as good as my maul would have split that straight wood. I would still probably have to try one in the hard dead oak here, before spending that kind of money on it though. Was that the really light version of the splitter, or the little bit heavier one? How tall are you/or whoever the guy swinging it?

I like your idea about the bungee cord thing. I always have various lengths of bungee cord and pieces of rope in my ATV. I'll try that the next time I'm out in the woods!

Just to clarify--that's not me in the video, I just searched youtube and came across it there. It did inspire me though--I ordered mine from Amazon today: $46.58 with free shipping via Amazon Prime......

I too like the idea of the bungee--I'll have to give it a try!!

NP

gerry100 said:
Hate to use the golf analogy again but it might keep the debate going.

Most golfers these days use cavity backed clubs because the Physics ( polar moments of inertia mainly) allow decent shots without perfect contact.

The pros use "blades" because they can get more power,accuracy and control out of there precise swings.

Think of cavity back when you think Fiskars.

That's fine and dandy, but I'll take the Pepsi Challenge with anyone on this board hand splitting.

Bigg_Redd said:
That's fine and dandy, but I'll take the Pepsi Challenge with anyone on this board hand splitting.
Ha ha! Just for fun, I'd take you up on that! I get to pick the pieces of wood though. :cheese:

So here's the million dollar question......2.5lb Fiskars or the heavier 4+lb?

I have the bigger one. I was actually giggling the first time I used it. I fine precision tool.

Skier76 said:
So here's the million dollar question......2.5lb Fiskars or the heavier 4+lb?
Big Redd said he owns the lightest one. Either way, I love a fun game! He may be able to swing faster and more times than I can with my old school 6# maul, but I won't have to. Especially in wood with a crotch in it! And maybe a big knot or two. I'll just go SLAM with my old maul while he goes tappy tappy tappy. Hee hee! This could be fun!

The Fiskars will do knots and crotches too! Better than my big old maul can.

Flatbedford said:
The Fiskars will do knots and crotches too! Better than my big old maul can.
Is that big old maul an 8#? If so, I believe you!

I like them. A lot. Rick

Attachments

• fiskars.jpg
    fiskars.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 515
That's a nice collection Rick! Looks like everything that Fiskars has on their website.

My collection:
IMG_3955.jpg

From left to right:
-The stuff legends are made of, my favorite old friend, my 6# maul.
-My kindling splitter. I haven't had this one too many years. I used to collect sticks and slivers left over from splitting. I got sick of running out of and always looking around for more kindling, in the dark, still sleepy after waking up in the morning. Now I am a dedicated kindling splitter. I think it's 3.5#.
-Ok, I lied previously. I guess I do own a cute little Fiskars ax. I had forgotten all about this one and found it when I was preparing for this picture. It doesn't even split kindling very well, which is probably why I stashed it away and forgot about it. Several years ago I bought this for a little nephew to use when he was out in the woods with me. My brother and his wife then got divorced and they all moved away and I haven't seen my nephew since, now he's probably too big for the Fiskars.
-My Dad's splitter/ double bit ax. He was the last one to ever use it, I never do, and he's been gone 25 years. It's kind of rusty now.
-Dad's hatchet. He always took it with him camping and hunting.
-A little hatchet that was in the tool kit of an old snowmobile I bought.
-This double bit ax I found grown into the crotch of a tree that I cut up. I presume someone a half century ago broke the handle, got mad, stuck it in the crotch of the tree and abandoned it. It may have been me, but I don't remember it. If I had went out in the woods with an ax and came back without it, I'm pretty sure Dad would have made me remember it for many years.
-And finally a brand new 6# maul that I bought a few years ago and have never taken one swing with it. I bought it because the handle on Old Reliable is starting to get kind of rough-looking after 25 years. Generally, you can buy a whole new maul for the price of a handle, so that's what I did. I've since had second thoughts, and if the day comes that Old Reliable needs a new handle, I think I will just buy a new handle for him.

There's probably a few more laying around somewhere.

And here's a picture of the edge of Old Reliable:
IMG_3957.jpg

It's very dull, just right!

Status
Not open for further replies.