Fiskar's Super Splitter:Retailer in Canada!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

okotoks guy

May 22, 2010
Alberta
MODERATORS.....PLEASE DO NOT DELETE!!!THIS AXE IS HARD TO FIND IN CANADA!!!
After reading a bunch of reviews about this axe I decided to buy one.Only problem was I couldn't find one in Alberta!I contacted Fiskar's and found out that 1 (yes,only 1)retailer just started selling these in Canada.The retailer is Marspan Home Hardware in Drayton Ontario.I'm having 1 shipped as we speak.
I hope this helps any fellow Canucks on this Forum.

what was the total price if you don't mind me asking? how did you contact them phone or e-mail? thanx for posting this!

jesse

I paid $64.99+tax.The sales guy said he would ship to me at that price.
If you google Marspan Drayton Ontario their website will come up and you can get contact info.I phoned them and they were really friendly and easy to get along with.The guy told me that they just started selling these and 1 of his customers came in to buy an 8 lb maul.He told him to try 1 of these and if he didn't like it he could return it no problem and get the maul.Sure enough the guy returned the next day;and bought 2 more for his sons!Needless to say the customer was impressed.
After I get mine, I will post my results with the axe.I've got some nasty apple wood itching to be split.
Hope this info helps.

thanks okotoks will order one soon! let us know how you make out! oh yeah and welcome to the site lots of good info and people on here!

Great find, I am sure many will be glad that you took the time to post here. It is this spirit of helping others out that make this forum the best on the net!! :)

I have been looking too. If a man as stubborn as (Bigg_Redd) swears by them, then I am interested. Thanks for the post from another Canuck.
Cheers

That must be new. When I was looking, I was told by Fiskars that there were no Canadian retailers supplying them. I think the word is finally getting out. Considering the Canadian dollar vs the US dollar, hopefully the price will go down if more retailers start stocking them.

I can get them here for about $40 US. I should start shipping them to Canada.

Ok so the guy from Marspan PUROLATED the axe to me!I tried it out and am thoroughly impressed!!!My expectations were already very high and this axe surpassed them.I had some freshly cut apple wood that I had been working on with a maul,wedge,and sledge and had decided to give up and let it sit in the sun for a while.This thing blasted through the rounds like nobody's business.Just for fun I took a few whacks at the stump and demo'd that too!The other thing with this axe, is that unless the wood is nasty(and I mean REALLY nasty)this axe does not get stuck in the wood.This is by far the best tool I have ever purchased.I'm considering buying a spare, just in case Fiskar's discontinues them.

okotoks guy said:
MODERATORS.....PLEASE DO NOT DELETE!!!THIS AXE IS HARD TO FIND IN CANADA!!!...

Why would you think that any of us would delete a post that might be very useful to fellow members? Welcome to Hearth.com, where helping each other out is the name of the game. Rick

The reason I asked for it not to be deleted was because some might see it as a "commercial"post.Like I might work for Marspan or Fiskars and was trying to use the forum for personal gain.

Thanks for the welcome to the forum.From what I've seen so far, this one seems to be a cut above the rest.Lots of useful info and not a whole bunch of bickering between members.

okotoks guy said:
Ok so the guy from Marspan PUROLATED the axe to me!I tried it out and am thoroughly impressed!!!My expectations were already very high and this axe surpassed them.I had some freshly cut apple wood that I had been working on with a maul,wedge,and sledge and had decided to give up and let it sit in the sun for a while.This thing blasted through the rounds like nobody's business.Just for fun I took a few whacks at the stump and demo'd that too!The other thing with this axe, is that unless the wood is nasty(and I mean REALLY nasty)this axe does not get stuck in the wood.This is by far the best tool I have ever purchased.I'm considering buying a spare, just in case Fiskar's discontinues them.

Welcome to the club. After you've owned it for 60 days and haven't whined about the "short handle" and/or whacking your shins, we'll send a representative over to teach you the secret handshake.........

NP

So I'm a newbie with splitting with a maul and I've got about 6 hours one the Fiskars SS and I've got the small rounds mastered. I'm am having a tough time with larger rounds..is there a method?

No matter what axe/maul that is used, splitting is a fine art. Look at the log for natural cracks in the wood. Aim and hit the largest one. Form a line across with the axe/maul, like you are cutting a pie in half. That way you can exploit the crack and split the log. Aiming is as important as the amount of force you can generate in your splitting motion. If you can't guide the axe head in the right spot, your splitting technique will not be as effective.

Larger logs sometimes require the splitting of the outer rings first, rather than cutting in half. Logs with branches are a whole other animal. The species of tree will also dictate the amount of splitting ease/hardship.

Unfortunately, the Fiskars does not split wood on its own, despite some accounts on here. It is only as effective as the operator, so practice is the key. However, there are some logs that only a wedge or hydraulic splitter will be able to tackle.

Clarkbar2311 said:
So I'm a newbie with splitting with a maul and I've got about 6 hours one the Fiskars SS and I've got the small rounds mastered. I'm am having a tough time with larger rounds..is there a method?
I guess it would depend on what you mean by "large".I found that for the rounds that are between about 16-24 inches across I hit once in the centre,then towards the outer edge centre,then closest edge centre.At that point the round should give with 1 more good hit to the centre of the round.This has worked for me and I've been cutting birch,ash,and manitoba maple.I've also been working on some spruce(for the moocher's pile) but those ones seem to need a few extra hits.If the rounds are larger,I just chip away from the edges;hitting about 5-6 inches from the edge and working my way around.

I'm 5'11,use a splitting block that's about 18'' tall and have not had any "near misses" with the Fiskar's.However,with how sharp the axe is,I do give it respect when splitting.

If you have not purchased the Fiskar's sharpening tool,I highly recommend it.It keeps a VERY sharp edge on the splitter,which I find helps getting through the bigger rounds.I think I paid $10.00 for it.

Hope this helps.

That actually helps a ton. The majority of my chinks are less than 24" and I've been struggling to find a good method. I have mostly maple, locus, red oak, and a load of pine. The pine is so soggy right now it's not worth messing with untill it dries some. I'm 5' 10" and find that a two foot block is about perfect for me.

Thanks for the info.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.