Fit of stovepipe on Quadrafire Isle Royale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carpniels

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2005
Rome, NY, USA
HI Guys,

I normally answer questions, but now i have one I cannot answer.

I have a 2005 Quadrafire Isle Royale set up for top venting. My stainless chimney goes straight up about 14 ft. I have an extender pipe that fits between the thimble and the stove. However, the end of the extender pipe does not fit nicely on the stove. So I asked the stove shop and they suggested a short section of single wall (about half a foot). The straight end fits into the double wall extender pipe and the bottom crimped end fits into the stove.

The problems is that the bottom end is a loose fit. It doesn't jam in there tight. It has about 1/4 to 1/2 inch play (you can move it side to side). So it is sort of resting on the stove inside the pipe connector. I want to fix this because I believe it can suck a lot of false air through this loose connection (and thus inhibit the stoves performance) and is potentially dangerous.

What are my options for a solution? Cement it shut? That is bad because I must clean it every year. Get a new pipe? Get a different connector?

Let me know

Carpniels

Local sheet metal shop and have one made?

I would get some flat tape window gasket and put it around the pipe and then insert the pipe. Some people question fiberglass gasket material standing up under flue temps but one of my Jotuls included a piece for sealing the flue collar to the stove and it looks fine every time I take the pipe off to clean it.

On my Quad 4300 ST I needed a stove top adapter to connect to my double wall. This was with Simpson Duravent.

Same here, stovepipe adapter for collar to DW connection. May be different with a quad but you can go with or without them on the PE's......using ICC chimney anyways.

You need one of these (see picture). Most company's adjustable double wall black lengths have these built in.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 372
As others said, you need an appliance adaptor for the double wall system you have. Smack the dealer in the head for suggesting a piece of single wall, that's ridiculous. If the adaptor is a little loose use furnace cement to seal it on.

It sounds like the crimped end is crimped too much. I had the opposite problem (could not get the crimped end in the stove) I just used a crimping pliers and went around the pipe making each crimp a bit more pronounced. I would try flattening out the crimps a bit with a anvil and a hammer. A 1/4 of play will go away quickly by decrimping a bit.

Good luck

You can jerry rig a solution to the problem, or you can use the part designed for this purpose.

Gunner said:
You can jerry rig a solution to the problem, or you can use the part designed for this purpose.

And with the different inside diameters of stove flue collars you can spend the rest of your life looking for a pipe that fits it tightly.

I have never seen any crimped pipe that fits a flue collar tightly. And everybody sings the song of putting the crimped end into the flue collar. The double wall pipe gang just thinks that that crimped piece inside is a tight fit. Pull the baffle. Put a mirror and flashlight inside and look up. The shiny black streaks are the air leaks.

Why not cut a bit of the crimping off anf push it in to where the rib makes contaCT WITH THE FLUE COLLAR

Carp, did ya get it fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.