Fixing a Breckwell P2000 after power surge.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ericm

Nov 11, 2011
Southern NH
Hi All

I have a circa 2001 BW-P2000 insert and the power went out at my house so I fired up the generator. (Somehow the generator surged and blew out my pellet stove, dishwasher ceiling fan and regular heating system.) I am now in fixing mode and have pulled the P2000 insert out and tried fixing in with no luck. Below is what I have done so far.

1) Changed fuse in back of circuit board - plugged back in and it blows immediately.
2) Pulled of auger motor tested w/ direct power from a pigtail. - Auger motor working fine.
3) Disconnected blower / fan / heating element etc. - plugged in board and it still blew the fuse?

Does this mean for certain the board is blown? I was thinking of testing the blower motor, heating element / fan one by one but not sure if I can put direct power to them and don't want to ruin any more parts.

Any help is much appreciated. FYI - before this power surge the stove was working fine.

Thanks
Eric

moneysaver said:
Hi All

I have a circa 2001 BW-P2000 insert and the power went out at my house so I fired up the generator. (Somehow the generator surged and blew out my pellet stove, dishwasher ceiling fan and regular heating system.) I am now in fixing mode and have pulled the P2000 insert out and tried fixing in with no luck. Below is what I have done so far.

1) Changed fuse in back of circuit board - plugged back in and it blows immediately.
2) Pulled of auger motor tested w/ direct power from a pigtail. - Auger motor working fine.
3) Disconnected blower / fan / heating element etc. - plugged in board and it still blew the fuse?

Does this mean for certain the board is blown? I was thinking of testing the blower motor, heating element / fan one by one but not sure if I can put direct power to them and don't want to ruin any more parts.

Any help is much appreciated. FYI - before this power surge the stove was working fine.

Thanks
Eric

You can safely test both the blower motors and the igniter provided you disconnect them from the stove first. Remember that is 120 you are playing with and it can kill you.

Snap some pictures of the board and perhaps someone might be able to help.

Sorry to hear about the surge problem Eric. Hope you can get it fixed, and I'm SURE after this you'll be investing in either a whole house surge protector, or at least some good protectors for the important items in your home, like the pellet stove....a lot cheaper than a new control board.

Okay I tested the rest of the motors and the ignitor and all is well so I think it is definitaly the board. I am attaching a picture of the board for everyones reveiw. FYI I am a recruiter for Dell and they bought a company in NH that has a bunch of hardware engineers there. (Has anyone ever tried to fix a board? I am thinking an EE might be able to test it. My guess is that it is the transformer on the board but who knows. I bet you can get the transformer for a fraction of the whole board. - I will keep the group posted.)

FYI yup I am getting more and new surge protectors!

Again thanks for your help !
Eric

Attachments

• Small BW Ciruit Board.jpg
    Small BW Ciruit Board.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 371
moneysaver said:
Okay I tested the rest of the motors and the ignitor and all is well so I think it is definitaly the board. I am attaching a picture of the board for everyones reveiw. FYI I am a recruiter for Dell and they bought a company in NH that has a bunch of hardware engineers there. (Has anyone ever tried to fix a board? I am thinking an EE might be able to test it. My guess is that it is the transformer on the board but who knows. I bet you can get the transformer for a fraction of the whole board. - I will keep the group posted.)

FYI yup I am getting more and new surge protectors!

Again thanks for your help !
Eric

Picture is too small to see any detail.

ETA: Quite a few folks have fixed a board, there are also board repair folks out there.

IMHO finding the dead short would be tricky even for a novice. Might want to consider new or sending it out for repair.

You would have to talk to the folks that make the board used by Breckwell .

The last I knew all stove control boards are totally closed, that means no information other than what the stove service folks need (namely feed rates and possible trim adjustments) are available.

Here is the manufacturer of said control boards: http://appconx.com/products/controlsystems.html

My money's on a shorted diode. (Top right corner of the picture - I think.)

Putting a large picture on a photo website and providing a link is one way past the sites limits on photo attachments and lets us old farts see the detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.