flabbergasted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
After talking to the company that produces the tape I had used on my vent. I followed there instructions to remove the remaining adhesive. Afterwards I fired up the stove and the smell still remains strong as ever. This time I let the stove run for about an hour and a half. The intensity of the smell remained.. I am at a loss and with my wife not a fan of the odor I am almost prepared to buy new venting. Anyone have any further suggestions?

any citrus based remover.. it seemed to work. All I can think is there must be some underneath i couldnt see

Give the wife about $100 and send her down to Victoria's Secret to browse for a while. While she's gone open up some windows and run it on high. As soon as the smell goes away close the windows and light a bunch of candles. Leave the stove on high to encourage her to test out whatever nice lightweight items she bought.

Have a nice weekend ;-)

Call the company that makes the remover you used and see what they suggest. Also, don't know if it's practical but you could remove your pipe and leave it outside for a few days.

I do like cncpro's idea.

cncpro said:
Give the wife about $100 and send her down to Victoria's Secret to browse for a while. While she's gone open up some windows and run it on high. As soon as the smell goes away close the windows and light a bunch of candles. Leave the stove on high to encourage her to test out whatever nice lightweight items she bought.

Have a nice weekend ;-)

Depends on how long they have been married! I tried that and All I get is a mad wife yellin at me to shut the stove off. Guess the honey moon is over. hehe! :)

On a more serious note:
cncpro has the ticket. Burning it off is probably the best way. Open some windows and put a fan in a widow to create a cross draft. Let it ripe. An hour or so the smell will be gone. Shut the stove down and let it cool. Install the new tape that is better rated for heat. You still might get a little smell with the new tape. But should last that long.

Is your wife a 1%er? Do chemicals bother her?

In furniture biz we deliver 5000 units with no issue, then we get the 1 lady that swears we just delivered a mattress full of toxic chemicals to her house, says it stinks. When we go to get it, it smells like all the rest.

If thats your wife your out of luck.

Wipe that sticky stuff off using either some brakekleen or laquer thinner.

DONT use the thinner with the stove running.

Once you wipe the pipe off really good with the thinner, then use the citrus stuff to make the house smell good.

Once the goo is off, wind the stuff mup on warp 9.7 and finish cooking the thing.

The real deal is to use a strong enough solvent to cut the sticcky.

Just be safe and dont use the solvent with the stove on or use it with all the windows closed.

Snowy

Don't know if this would really help, but I do know it does help in some situations. Try painting it with stove paint. Once it dries, you might get a faint paint smell, but doubt you'll get anything else. My wife never complains about new paint smell!

Did you by any chance also slather on a ton of silly cone in your many attempts at stopping the smoke smell and did any of that solvent dissolve or soften any of that?

If the stove is no longer a smoking dragon, I'd turn the stove up to at least mid point, set a box fan in the nearest window and vent the room. Treat it just like a break in burn. Perhaps that will finally get rid of the smelliness.

Any odor takes a long time to exit a house that is closed up.

Snowy Rivers said:

Don't use the brakekleen with it hot either and make sure it's completely dry before you fire the stove that stuff will let off some seriously toxic fumes when heated.

festerw said:
Snowy Rivers said:

Don't use the brakekleen with it hot either and make sure it's completely dry before you fire the stove that stuff will let off some seriously toxic fumes when heated.

Brakekleen is something I wouldn't even think of spraying in the house. The only way I would use that is undo the pipe and hual it outside. Nasty stuff! Maybe its just me?

cncpro said:

Have a nice weekend ;-)

Are you saying she smells????

j-takeman said:
Brakekleen is something I wouldn't even think of spraying in the house. The only way I would use that is undo the pipe and hual it outside. Nasty stuff! Maybe its just me?

I wouldn't either to be honest but that doesn't mean somebody else wouldn't. The fumes are bad enough outside in the driveway.

Also for anybody that welds it should never be used to prepare a surface.
http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

Give the wife about $100 and send her down to Victoria’s Secret to browse for a while. While she’s gone open up some windows and run it on high. As soon as the smell goes away close the windows and light a bunch of candles. Leave the stove on high to encourage her to test out whatever nice lightweight items she bought.

Have a nice weekend

Are you saying she smells????

we all read things a little different now dont we.tooooo funny Kroooze

I am annoyed by the smell to.. she thinks we should just invest in new pipe and do it right this time... worried about wasting money

Update.. pulled the exhaust off the stove an realized the majority of the adhesive that is burning is on the stove exhaust outlet not the pipe. I spent a great deal of time scraping off the baked on gook. I reinstalled and of course still had a leak but the adhesive smell was cut down quite a bit it seems my wife may even tolerate it. Now its back tot he store to get more of the good tape and start heating the other half of my house. Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.