Flame color changes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinaBella

Jan 9, 2011
NC
I have a ventless gas fireplace which recently had a change in flame color. When first lit, areas that were normally all blue, were blue with yellow flickers. I was told this was ok. But about 8 hours later, I noticed the flames had all connected and had a blue outline. There was also a sewer-like smell in the room. I immediately turned the fireplace off and closed the gas line. What I want to know is, is what did this change in color and appearance mean? I'm terrified to turn it back on, but I'm also freezing.

The first flame color was probably because of air born dust burning off. In my experience any smell coming from a vent free unit is from something in the air. What i mean is if you have done any painting or staining in your house....any where in your house you will get a smell. Also candles are a big contributor to this effect. Do you have either of these 2 things in your home?

When was the last time it was professionally serviced or inspected? If more then 1 yr ago you should have this done. It might just need to be cleaned up and /or have the logs put in correctly.

Ventfree fireplaces are not something I would mess around with.

i have a vent free heater all it takes is furniture polish, lighted candles or anything that puts a smell in the air. those heaters are very delicate to this stuff. pet dander is another on!!

bob

Status
Not open for further replies.