Flame out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadstar

Mar 11, 2011
Puyallup, WA
Periodically my flame will die out. This happened last year all to frequently. Things run sorta great for a few days then it will happen, usually at night (but you knew that). Last year I blamed it on the pellets I bought. There were a lot of fines in the bag and my theory was the pellets weren't compacted enough, causing them to burn too fast and dying out before new pellets dropped. This year I am using new pellets, and I think they are better, but I've already had one burn out in this new season.

My new theory is perhaps my auger motor is getting weak, like a used clutch. It doesn't make any noise and pellets fall about every 7 seconds. My Breckwell has 6 settings. I usually run on setting 3 for most of the year. Sometimes 6 or more pellets fall and sometimes two fall. Sometimes the flame will get halfway up to the exchange tubes and sometimes the flame won't reach above the burn pot. I know it could be a control board problem but I have two analog boards and they both seem to work the same.

The stove and auger motor are 20 years old and perhaps I should have swapped out the motor last summer.

So I guess I'm asking, do auger motors ever get weak?

Looking for ideas.

Auger motors do get "weak" in my experience. My bearings got gummy and slowed the motor down. So, while the motor was energized for the appropriate amount of time, it was turning slowly, so not feeding enough pellets. Also, the auger bushing(s) could be gummy or seized, slowing the auger down. I'd pull the auger motor, check the auger for free rotation, and examine the motor bearings and lube them, if possible.

My auger motor is a 2 RPM. IIRC, it was turning about 1 ⅔ RPM, which was slow enough to starve the stove a bit.

I installed a new spare motor, and it made a huge difference, and it actually turns 2 RPM. I lubed and cleaned the old motor, and it now does the 2 RPM, and is my spare.

Reactions: Owen1508
Status
Not open for further replies.