Flame time - Burn time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Zoso2385

Nov 4, 2018
Southeastern, Ct
Hi all, I have a Jotul Oslo V2, interior insulated chimney about 25 ft tall. On a full load I get flames for about 2.5-3 hours and maybe some very light wispy flames for another hour and then I’m basically in the coaling stage for another couple hours before a reload. I can go about 8-9 hours and still have enough coals to get a fire going in the morning. One thing I cannot seem to achieve is a slow roll of secondary burn when burning a full load. On a small to medium load I can achieve that., but on a full load of oak/maple I get the gates of hell and then when I turn down I get what the video below shows (1/8 open on the air) and if I go down anymore I risk choking the flames out. My flames always seem like they are going “fast”. Do these burn times and flame sound normal. It seems like I have too much draft, but on the other hand I still have the ability to choke it off.

Not sure it’s a great comparison but I have the Jotul 550 insert. 2.3 cu ft box I think. My burn time is similar to your numbers, I don’t see much flame after a couple hours or so but then I get multiple hours of coaling stage. 25 feet is tall so maybe your “fast flames” are related to that?

Reactions: vatmark
My limited experience has me guessing that your mid-smaller load sizes are limiting your fire from taking off. Perhaps with the larger load start incrementally lowering the air sooner?

Last edited:
Seems like you have to much secondary air coming in to me, the primary flames at the bottom are slightly strong (if the video is with the air cut off all way) the secondary seems to vigorous. I'd have the draft tested on this unit with a manometer that will determine if a key damper should be installed.

I have similar flame/coal times on my similar setup (tall, internal chimney). I have tremendous, good draft, no key damper, just the air intake adjustment damper on my US Stove 3000. When I bank it up for the night, though, I leave wide open until it gets temp up to 400-500, then choke down for the night. Usually don’t reload during the night for to laziness, but just stir the coals in the morning and throw a couple pieces in and takes right off... haven’t noticed a huge amount of difference between when using oak, hickory, or ash for the flame times...

Attachments

• Flame time - Burn time
    ECE50ADA-40A4-464C-8861-96529ACE5722.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 99
Seems like you have to much secondary air coming in to me, the primary flames at the bottom are slightly strong (if the video is with the air cut off all way) the secondary seems to vigorous. I'd have the draft tested on this unit with a manometer that will determine if a key damper should be installed.
I’ve wondered about a key damper in my flue, but stove manual says not to add one. I have tremendous draft. How do you measure to see if you have too much draft?

I’ve wondered about a key damper in my flue, but stove manual says not to add one. I have tremendous draft. How do you measure to see if you have too much draft?
manometer : Dwyer Mark II is the model

Reactions: MR. GLO
With the fire shown in the video, it does not look like closing down the air a bit more is going to risk choking the flames out. That looks like a normal fire for when one is trying to produce heat, but there is room to get the flames lazier.

That seems a little too vigorous. There has to be an in-between setting from that to dead. You say you still have the ability to reduce the air. Do so.

That seems a little too vigorous. There has to be an in-between setting from that to dead. You say you still have the ability to reduce the air. Do so.
In that video the air is almost all the way down and if I do go all the way down, all the fire goes away on top and the result is some light flames on each side of the wood. Makes me think it is just smoldering, will even get a small amount of smoke from the chimney when its burning like that

FYI I think you will be measuring draft when its running mid burn.

Hi all, I have a Jotul Oslo V2, interior insulated chimney about 25 ft tall. On a full load I get flames for about 2.5-3 hours and maybe some very light wispy flames for another hour and then I’m basically in the coaling stage for another couple hours before a reload. I can go about 8-9 hours and still have enough coals to get a fire going in the morning. One thing I cannot seem to achieve is a slow roll of secondary burn when burning a full load. On a small to medium load I can achieve that., but on a full load of oak/maple I get the gates of hell and then when I turn down I get what the video below shows (1/8 open on the air) and if I go down anymore I risk choking the flames out. My flames always seem like they are going “fast”. Do these burn times and flame sound normal. It seems like I have too much draft, but on the other hand I still have the ability to choke it off.
View attachment 272664

at night I usually put two large splits at the bottom and then fill it up with medium size splits. When I get my chimney cleaned this season I will ask if they can measure the draft

nope, draft is measured at the highest burn setting
Thanks for info...My chimney sweep wouldn't wait around to do it. Did you get any draft numbers yet. I am getting ready to install a Dwyer
Magnehelic 2000-00

Did you get any draft numbers yet
Yea, normal stove draft is centered around .05" wc, I was running about .18"wc or just over 3 times the recommended draft, installed a damper into my double wall pipe about 3ft from the stove top and now I'm running .08wc and things are way more comfortable (control w/ more heat)

Yea, normal stove draft is centered around .05" wc, I was running about .18"wc or just over 3 times the recommended draft, installed a damper into my double wall pipe about 3ft from the stove top and now I'm running .08wc and things are way more comfortable (control w/ more heat)
Thanks for info. So do you leave the damper set in same spot all the time or do you adjust it during the burn cycle. I am assuming you open it when lighting stove so when do you change it.

Thanks for info. So do you leave the damper set in same spot all the time or do you adjust it during the burn cycle. I am assuming you open it when lighting stove so when do you change it.
Set closed all the time except when loading

I measured the draft today around stove top temp of 550 but my gauge maxed out at .14. Before lighting stove I had .03....When I try to lower the air intake less than halfway I get white smoke out of chimney and then if I go to just over half way the smoke clears up again. Wood is between 10 and 16 percent moisture. Also the slow flames dont show until the air inlet is about 10 percent. Looking into damper now. Thanks for the info