1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garys314

garys314 New Member

Just cleaned out pellet stove. Flame seems way too high, kind of out of control. Tried messing with air intake to no avail. Any thoughts?

Thanks in Advance,

Gary

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. HEMI

HEMI Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    connecticut
    gary, let these guys know what kind of stove.......make/model, and maybe the settings your running it with....will be easier for them to help ya out
  3. imacman

imacman Guest

Yup, nobody can help you much when you don't provide any stove info, or have it in your signature.
  4. abrucerd

abrucerd Member

Loc:
    Central MA
    photo or movie of the flame would be good too.
  5. littlesmokey

littlesmokey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mighty vistas of the Wasatch Mountains Below the s
    Regardless of the stove, your combustion air is too high. Turn it down, close it off, restrict it, limit it. On my stove the blower has one speed for each range setting, It has a damper control to fine tune. The damper is the adjustment for me. I have manual stoves, so the much more sophisticated electronic stoves may have some special way to adjust the air supply :cheese:
  6. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Georgia
    Not all stoves (Quads for one) don't have air control. They control the feedrate of pellets instead. The OP has to tell us what kind of stove he has to get any meaningful help.
  7. littlesmokey

littlesmokey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mighty vistas of the Wasatch Mountains Below the s
    Well, I made a leap of faith. I assumed it was OK before and now it's not. Something changed and it sounds like the air supply is it. I am not familiar with the Quad's internal parts, but can't conceive of some way to regulate the air supply. What happens if it's at high altitude vs. sea level? While there may not be a control on the board or readily accessible, there has to be some sort of damper or speed control to regulate the combustion air.
  8. Czech

Czech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Twin Cities, MN
    All stoves have a few variables, namely air intake, fuel feed (and fuel), and exhaust. Quads feed air dependent on the fire pot burn holes and the comb fan (multi speed) and exhaust outlet, basically that is what controls the air flow and that is all. So now we're down to those things being a constant, i.e making sure the pots holes are open, the comb fan is working well, the vent clear. When those are working well, the stoves are bullet proof, and you can look to other issues such as fuel feed rate which is adjustable on Quads, and the fuel itself. In gary's situation, it's either too much air as mentioned, too much fuel metioned, the Quads you'd have to look at the fuel issue if the air issues are working as designed. Throw us a bone here gary, we'll take care of it. Promise. Little, altitude would not matter on a Quad, again you would adjust the feed rate to compensate, air intake is constant. JMHO.....Good luck!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.