Flame too High

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

garys314

Oct 10, 2007
Just cleaned out pellet stove. Flame seems way too high, kind of out of control. Tried messing with air intake to no avail. Any thoughts?

Thanks in Advance,

Gary

garys314 said:
Just cleaned out pellet stove. Flame seems way too high, kind of out of control. Tried messing with air intake to no avail. Any thoughts?

Thanks in Advance,

Gary
gary, let these guys know what kind of stove.......make/model, and maybe the settings your running it with....will be easier for them to help ya out

HEMI said:
garys314 said:

Thanks in Advance,

Gary
gary, let these guys know what kind of stove.......make/model, and maybe the settings your running it with....will be easier for them to help ya out

Yup, nobody can help you much when you don't provide any stove info, or have it in your signature.

Regardless of the stove, your combustion air is too high. Turn it down, close it off, restrict it, limit it. On my stove the blower has one speed for each range setting, It has a damper control to fine tune. The damper is the adjustment for me. I have manual stoves, so the much more sophisticated electronic stoves may have some special way to adjust the air supply :cheese:

Not all stoves (Quads for one) don't have air control. They control the feedrate of pellets instead. The OP has to tell us what kind of stove he has to get any meaningful help.

tjnamtiw said:
Not all stoves (Quads for one) don't have air control. They control the feedrate of pellets instead. The OP has to tell us what kind of stove he has to get any meaningful help.

Well, I made a leap of faith. I assumed it was OK before and now it's not. Something changed and it sounds like the air supply is it. I am not familiar with the Quad's internal parts, but can't conceive of some way to regulate the air supply. What happens if it's at high altitude vs. sea level? While there may not be a control on the board or readily accessible, there has to be some sort of damper or speed control to regulate the combustion air.

All stoves have a few variables, namely air intake, fuel feed (and fuel), and exhaust. Quads feed air dependent on the fire pot burn holes and the comb fan (multi speed) and exhaust outlet, basically that is what controls the air flow and that is all. So now we're down to those things being a constant, i.e making sure the pots holes are open, the comb fan is working well, the vent clear. When those are working well, the stoves are bullet proof, and you can look to other issues such as fuel feed rate which is adjustable on Quads, and the fuel itself. In gary's situation, it's either too much air as mentioned, too much fuel metioned, the Quads you'd have to look at the fuel issue if the air issues are working as designed. Throw us a bone here gary, we'll take care of it. Promise. Little, altitude would not matter on a Quad, again you would adjust the feed rate to compensate, air intake is constant. JMHO.....Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.