flatplate vs sidearm vs shell hx?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MNBobcat

Sep 6, 2009
Minnesota
Hi Guys,

I could use some advice. I currently have two 80 gallon electric hot water heaters set up on off-peak electric. I'm in the process of installing an outdoor wood boiler and I need to make a decision on the best hx for my dhw. What would you guys recommend? What are the pros and cons of the 3 different options?

Thanks!

Side arm is cheap and uses no extra power. Downside is they are slowwwwww at heating up a large tank of water.If your OWB loop is going to run
constantly then you may be OK with a sidearm(or two). They are cheap so if it does not keep up you are not out a lot of dough. If you need to heat two
80 gallon tanks fast you better go with a flat plate and it's extra pumps and controls.

side arm is a shell HX as far as I know, other wise what he said above.

Status
Not open for further replies.