Flex seal for flashing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
flashing on my chimney is leaking. I can see some rain get through when looking at chimney when I’m in the garage. Anyone have luck using that Flex Seal stuff you see on tv?

Fix it correctly with new flashing. That crap may work for a little while but when it fails it will make foxing it right much harder.

Reactions: edyit
just helped my sister inlaw out last weekend, she had a leak around her chimney, said her husband had tried to fix it, his fix was gobbing tar all around it. spent more time removing crap to get to it than it should have taken to actually fix it, "boot" was installed wrong, upper end of it was never tucked under anything...

Reactions: bholler
Fix it correctly with new flashing. That crap may work for a little while but when it fails it will make foxing it right much harder.
Yeah, then it will be really foxed up. ;)

I have used WR Grace storm shield in the past which is a rubber like sheet good. As long as the surface is dry and you have a hair dryer, it works pretty well for temporary patches. The issue is that UV does degrade it so its not a forever patch. The key is the hair dryer, you need to get things warm including the surfaces you are adhering it to. Like Duct tape is adheres best to itself. You dont need to buy huge roll, you can buy smaller amounts used for flashing in windows.

I'd just have the flashing done properly and be done with it. You shouldn't have to worry about it for a long time that way. Everything else is just a band aid.. Just my opinion.

I'm going to vote for duct tape. It'll fix everything!

I am with you. Many years ago I was told by an outdoors man you could build a canoe with twigs and duct tape. I subscribe to that concept, although I have not had occasion to build such a boat.