floor protection SHP10L

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don_H1

Sep 18, 2013
I'm having a Summers Heat 55 SHP10L installed next week. Would a 40"X40" floor protector be the correct size to use over my hardwood floor? Thanks.

I'm having a Summers Heat 55 SHP10L installed next week. Would a 40"X40" floor protector be the correct size to use over my hardwood floor? Thanks.

hi don,

minimum protection would need to be 31" X 32" (usually folks grab a 3X3 ft one as they are common)

here's a link to that stove's manual on my website scroll down to the bottom to see the UL tag which shows a diagram on the floor protection http://www.englanderstoves.com/manuals/25-PDVC.pdf free download. same manual you will get with your stove

hi don,

minimum protection would need to be 31" X 32" (usually folks grab a 3X3 ft one as they are common)

here's a link to that stove's manual on my website scroll down to the bottom to see the UL tag which shows a diagram on the floor protection http://www.englanderstoves.com/manuals/25-PDVC.pdf free download. same manual you will get with your stove

Thank you. That's great. I'll pick up some basic black stove board.

Another quick question- how long can the fresh air intake run be? This stove is replacing a wood stove. We'll use an adapter to fit into the 6" thimble at the base of a relatively new steel liner that runs up into the original (1880s) brick chimney. It will be installed in the middle of a home so direct access to an exterior wall isn't possible. I could go through the floor, make a turn in the crawl space and out through a sill or exterior wall that way. Perhaps drill into the brick chimney below the thimble and take air from the cavity that surrounds the new liner. Thoughts?

running from underneath to the sill plate is how mine is done at home though its not a very long run, you could drop through the floor with the 2 inch , then expand to a 3 inch and go a pretty good ways , at least 15 ft if its a straight shot to get air in to the stove

running from underneath to the sill plate is how mine is done at home though its not a very long run, you could drop through the floor with the 2 inch , then expand to a 3 inch and go a pretty good ways , at least 15 ft if its a straight shot to get air in to the stove

Good to know it's an option if I have the need and the room to squeeze it in. The guy's coming to look at the job this weekend and we'll discuss options. Having this site as a resource is very helpful. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.