1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

floor protection????

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by gsxr1216, Sep 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nshif

nshif New Member

Loc:
    Pioneer, Ca (near Lake Tahoe)
    Ill agree with you in theory but plywood is not going to distribuate the weight evenly on the carpet. There will still be pressure points where the studs land. Granted the plywood will help distribute the load that piece of carpet will see a constant load as to the rest. Even when you walk or stand you are never in one place for 24/7. Ever seen wear marks in carpet in frequentlytraveled areas? As a suggestion have a carpet guy remove exactly the piece under the hearth (with a carpet knife). Then store it and have it seamed back in when you remove it. That way you will only have the fade and wear issue.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jjbaer

jjbaer New Member

Loc:
    OH
    Nothings perfect but remember, walking still exerts 25 times the pressure that this pad will so you can stand to have localized hot spots of higher pressure and still not exceed walking PSI. I do however, like your suggestion for another reason: installation of a VC Intrepid II REQUIRES carpet removal even with a bottom heat shield and a UL approved hearth........

ragards
  3. MrGriz

MrGriz New Member

Loc:
    Waterford, WI
    I would definitely suggest removing the carpet.

Ask yourself this: What is the benefit of leaving the carpet under the pad?

What is the floor under the carpet (plywood, concrete...)? Depending, you could have the carpet cut out from the area of the pad and the edges either trimmed in metal or turned and tucked to make the transition to your hearth pad. In either case, the transition will look finished and professional and the rest will not be an issue.
  4. jjbaer

jjbaer New Member

Loc:
    OH
    Folks......I think we're all in "violent agreement" on this especially since many manuals say to remove the carpet. I only responded because someone said it might crush the pad or carpeting.....when in fact the pressures are FAR LESS than for just about any other object (furniture) in your house!

Another good reason to cut the carpet out is that it gives you the chance to inspect the sub-flooring.....better to see its condition now and make any necessary repairs BEFORE you place a stove on it! :coolsmile:
  5. nshif

nshif New Member

Loc:
    Pioneer, Ca (near Lake Tahoe)
    Good move and I agree. And you will have a much more stable base.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.