1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Flue brush size and rods

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by PaulF, Dec 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulF

PaulF Member

I need to buy a flue brush and a set of rods. My flue measures 7 1/4 inches square on the inside.
    Would it be best to get a 7 inch brush rather than an 8 inch brush?
    I will need enough rods to reach 36 feet. Would it be best to get 3/8 inch diameter rods rather than 1/4 inch?
    I expect stiffer rods would handle better at this length.

PaulF

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    I will have to vote for the larger size brush. I cleaned my chimney before installing the liner. The flue was also an "in between" size. I started with a slightly smaller brush, but after a few feet, you have no effective "scraping power" on the walls, so I got the bigger brush. That did fine, the only issue there is that it was a one way trip. The bristles were long enough and stiff enough that they would not reverse in the chimney.

I wound up going the cheap way and using a rope. Had to make extra trips to "reset" the brush because I couldn't push and pull with the rope, but I only did it once so not too big of a deal.

There are some pro sweeps on the forum too, so maybe they can offer even more insight!

Good Luck
    Corey
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.