Flue brush size and rods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulF

Nov 19, 2005
I need to buy a flue brush and a set of rods. My flue measures 7 1/4 inches square on the inside.
Would it be best to get a 7 inch brush rather than an 8 inch brush?
I will need enough rods to reach 36 feet. Would it be best to get 3/8 inch diameter rods rather than 1/4 inch?
I expect stiffer rods would handle better at this length.

PaulF

I will have to vote for the larger size brush. I cleaned my chimney before installing the liner. The flue was also an "in between" size. I started with a slightly smaller brush, but after a few feet, you have no effective "scraping power" on the walls, so I got the bigger brush. That did fine, the only issue there is that it was a one way trip. The bristles were long enough and stiff enough that they would not reverse in the chimney.

I wound up going the cheap way and using a rope. Had to make extra trips to "reset" the brush because I couldn't push and pull with the rope, but I only did it once so not too big of a deal.

There are some pro sweeps on the forum too, so maybe they can offer even more insight!

Good Luck
Corey

Status
Not open for further replies.