Flue Damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xjcamaro89

Feb 1, 2011
New Castle, PA
Hey guys, again this is my first year burning, and love it (although i work for the oil company) anyways, my stove that i got works great. Its a Century Heating Whistler, seen here:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200393570_200393570

There is a damper on the stove pipe adapter, but because of the mounting bolts for the adapter to the stove, the damper only closes about 2/3 of the way. This is a non EPA stove and does not have a intake control. I was wondering if it would help anything to calm some fires down more, and make them last longer without heat loss to put a damper a little higher in the stove pipe above the adapter so it can close more fully. Also you can see the air intake holes right below the stove top, the slots, well i took two magnets and put them on both sides of the stove. Then i take a 1/2" peice of 1/8" bar stock that i painted high temp black and put it on there allowing the magnets to hold it and i can slide it up and down to cut off the air intake. Any thoughts, cause last night it was pretty windy here in western pa and even with the damper closed as far as it would the wind was pulling a pretty heavy draft and my fire was rockin, i could tell it was hot cause when it gets really hot, i get sort of a sweet hot smell, like some of the paint that didnt fully cure when i burned it in is now curing, or burning off.

Thanks guys!

Since it's a non-epa stove you wouldn't hurt anything to try it. Just remember though if you smolder that fire you are going to creosote up the chimney.

pen

I just want to be able to calm the fire down if i want to cause it just seems with the damper as closed as it will go the fire still seems like it could be calmed down a little bit. And as far as creosote. I make it a habit to pull my pipes apart once a month and clean the chimney. Ive cleaned it 3 times this season and there has yet to be alot of build up, just a thin coating of soot.

Status
Not open for further replies.