Q&A Flue in 125 year old house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a fireplace in a 125 yr. old house. It has never been used (!) but the oil burner flue is definitely old and tired. I had the chimney rebuilt from the roof line up, and plan to line the furnace flue, but I'm wondering if I really need to reline the fireplace flue as well. Nothing is crumbling down, and the firebox is smallish, so there can't be any big fires built in it. What do you think? If I do line it, what is my best choice, and least expensive?

Answer:

If the fireplace flue does not already have a sound terra cotta (tile) liner, then it most definitely needs to be relined. Brick and mortar are not adequate for the inside of a chimney.

Because of the small size of the flue, you must be careful to reline it while keeping it as large as possible. One company called Homesavers makes a stainless steel relining piping that is square, so it does not choke the flue size down as much. Visit them off of the links at https://www.hearth.com/prod.html

Status
Not open for further replies.