Flue size and options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

kgreenburg

Hearth Supporter
Jan 28, 2008
GA
I have an older home (built in the 30s) with three fireplaces - one has always been wood-burning, but the other two are bedroom fireplaces with gas lines and small flues (3" in diameter - round). I believe these would have been used with the old gas ceramic tile inserts.

I am considering my options for adding gas logs to these fireplaces - would the 3" be adequate for a vented variety or should I seal the opening and go with a ventless set? I have been searching online for guidance about the minimums, but I am not getting anywhere. I want to be safe. I guess another option would be to go with a vintage insert with a vent out the back like it originally had.

Thanks,

Kirt

Normally bedrooms are not allowed to have B-Vented gas fireplaces, or gas logs, or wood burners for that matter. Unless they meet a minimum air volume requirement as listed in NFPA 54 I believe.

I'm confused as to what you currently have. Sounds like maybe a B-Vent gas fireplace with the 3" vent? Are the bedroom units wood burning? Normally you can only install a Gas Log into a fully functioning legal wood burning fireplace, or a prefab ventless box (designed to have ventfree log installed).

Oh, I did not catch the bedroom thing with my speed reading! jtp is correct.

jtp, I think he has small masonry fireplaces with 3" masonry flues. I have seen old ones like this with little ceramic gas burners in them.

I think there are special vent free sets with 10,000 BTU that are listed for a bedroom, but I would hesitate to personally recommend that solution. The 3" flue really does not leave many options. You should contact the Dukes who specialize in tiny fireplaces and also sell these things direct.

http://www.gascoals.net/

Status
Not open for further replies.